LANG Environment variable

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

reachmexyz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by reachmexyz »

Hello all.

I have a process where i pick data from tables, process them and create files.
When i run the process in produciton, i got the warning "Invalid character(s) ([x8000]) found converting Unicode string (code point(s): 2.00[x0002]0[x0080][x8000]3619108.3619114.715535.2056639.3919244.2056615.11202413.10971540[x0006]FOG[x000E]860...) to codepage ISO-8859-1, substituting.".
But when i run the same process in development, i do not get this error. In Development and production i was extracting the data from same table.
Later i checked the environment variables list and i found "LANG=en_US.UTF-8" variable on devlopment job log but not in the log of production process. Is this the culprit.
But when i go into linux environment and type "echo $LANG", i get "LANG=en_US.UTF-8" in production too. But i cannot see this in Job log ( Director). Is this environment varaiable not being respected by Production DataStage server. Please help me out.
reachmexyz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by reachmexyz »

Can somebody please respond to this?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

As a general rule, if someone can contribute something they will. Learn patience.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It doesn't matter what *you* see from the command line, what matters is what exists in the job's environment when it runs... and even with 'the same user' they're not the same thing. Since it seems to be missing there on production, add it to the environment of that server at whatever level seems appropriate to you. For every job in every project, set your LANG (or NLS_LANG) variable in your dsenv file. Or constrain it to just that one Project or even just that one job by adding it at that level.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ajay.vaidyanathan
Participant

Post by ajay.vaidyanathan »

Hi,
The UNICODE error is a very strange error. If you have defined the STRING fields in your job as Unicode, try making them as 'Non-Unicode' and reimport the metadata back to the job. This should fix your problem.
Regards
Ajay