Records drop in Transformer.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kennyapril
Participant

Records drop in Transformer.

Post by kennyapril »

Field 'state_cd2' from input dataset '0' is NULL. Record dropped

I see this kind of warnings more in the director.

Actually we have values for the provided fields but why does it show NULL.

As it is null it drops.

any suggestions please
Regards,
Kenny
chowdhury99
Participant

Re: Records drop in Transformer.

Post by chowdhury99 »

Use null handing. Thanks.
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

You obviously do have nulls in the data coming into the transformer. Perhaps you have an outer join, lookup or some other stage upstream of the transformer that may be introducing the nulls.

The record is dropped because the null exists in the column and you are using that column in a derivation which is doing more than just copying it to an output column. To avoid dropping the record, add null handling logic as is suggested by
chowdhurry99.

If you wish to view the dropped records, add a reject link that feeds to a Peek stage or some sort of file.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
soumya5891
Participant

Post by soumya5891 »

I guess you defined the field in the transformer output as a not nullable field.So the records with null values are getting dropped.So in this case if you want null value just declare it as nullable. Or if you want it as not nullable then you can handle the null with null to empty or null to value function in the transformer.
Soumya
kennyapril
Participant

Post by kennyapril »

I handled the nulls,the problem was In 8.5 there is nothing to do for handling nulls but in 8.0.1 I had to mark them as some value.

Issue resolved.

Thank you ALL
Regards,
Kenny