ODBC Connections - Questions about DataDirect

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

cpelletier
Participant

ODBC Connections - Questions about DataDirect

Post by cpelletier »

Hi!

I am trying to establish an ODBC connection to a Database (Kognitio WX2) which does not seem to be supported by the DataDirect out-of-the-box drivers.

I have a few questions:

-Is this version of DataDirect in DataStage only for ODBC or does it support JDBC also?

-Assuming it does not support WX2, I would like to go around DataDirect.
I have tried following the instructions here but I seem to be missing something - I am always getting a Driver could not be Loaded error.

I am mostly confused about the Library_Path variable. What should be included there exactly? Is there any other setting to use to tell DataStage not to use DataDirect?

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... ivers.html

Sorry for all the questions - I will appreciate any input/advince you can share.

Christian
ppgoml
Participant

Post by ppgoml »

Christian,

When we are talking about ODBC, there are two concepts, ODBC drivers and ODBC manager. In the unix environment, DataDirect is the default ODBC manager shipped and worked with Datastage. And the ODBC drivers that provided by DataDirect could work fine with it's ODBC manager, however, ODBC drivers from other vendors might work with DataDirect ODBC manager too, you can use 'ivtestlib' command come with DataStage to verify that.

If you are sure that your ODBC driver is not supported by DataDirect ODBC manager, then you need to config DataStage to work with another ODBC manager. Please contact your driver vendor to figure out which ODBC manager is the right one for you. There are a few number of ODBC managers available such as unixODBC and iODBC.

To config DataStage to work with another ODBC manager, there are two things required to be changed in dsenv file before your restarting the engine. Firstly you need to change ODBCINI to point the ODBC manager's odbc.ini file where you define your DSN. Secondly, you have to modify LIBPATH to have the directory which contain libodbc.so (this is the ODBC manager library file that datastage will link to) come with your ODBC manager before "`dirname $DSHOME`/branded_odbc/lib" where DataDirect put its libodbc.so.
you might also need to put Kognitio WX2's library file directory into LIBPATH.

After all that done, Config a ODBC connection as normal and use ODBC enterprise stage to access your database.(In my practice, I found that ODBC Connector stage did not work with unixODBC but ODBC enterprise stage did)

hope above information helps.
Jack Li
cpelletier
Participant

Post by cpelletier »

Jack

thanks for taking the time to write a detailed answer. What you wrote makes sense and inline with what I read. I will go back and take another go at it.

However, I am unable to find the ivtestlib script on my server (with 8.5).
Would you know exactly where the script resides?

thank you
ppgoml
Participant

Post by ppgoml »

If you installed your 8.5 Server at the default location, you can find it in /opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/branded_odbc/bin
Jack Li
cpelletier
Participant

Post by cpelletier »

thanks. I found it - it's called ddtestlib on 64 bits