[osh.exe] <defunct> process

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

[osh.exe] <defunct> process

Post by mandyli »

Hi

Whenever the jobs is started lot of [osh.exe] process and also [osh.exe] <defunct> process is runnig for my id.

what is the [osh.exe] <defunct> process ? some time if job is hung I am not able to kill the [osh.exe] <defunct> process.

Thanks
Man
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What operating system? This may help explain things, including why you can't kill them... you can't kill the undead. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Hi,

Red-Hat Linux
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

mandyli wrote:Hi,

Red-Hat Linux
@mandyli - Did you get a solution to this problem? Please advise if you have a solution as I am facing exactly the same problem and this happens very randomly to any job at any given time. It just hangs there forever...

Thanks.
Vivek Gadwal

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
daignault
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by daignault »

There is a kernel patch for Linux for PDFLUSH. This is a known LINUX issue with EE.

My site has patched SUSE kernel for this, but it may be called something else in Redhat.

Regards,

Ray Daignault
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

daignault wrote:There is a kernel patch for Linux for PDFLUSH. This is a known LINUX issue with EE.

My site has patched SUSE kernel for this, but it may be called something else in Redhat.

Regards,

Ray Daignault
Thanks for your response. I forgot to mention, but our shop is SuSE Linux, not RedHat. Do you happen to remember/know the name of the kernel patch? These hanging problems have been really problematic and we raised the issue several times with IBM who almost always came back and told us to upgrade from 8.0 to the next version (we are planning to go to 8.5 soon). No other resolution so far...
Vivek Gadwal

jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

For the kernel patch for SUSE, you will need to contact Novell or whomever is your support provider for Linux.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
ppgoml
Participant

Post by ppgoml »

I am wondering if this issue has been fixed in DataStage 8.1 Fixpack2.
Some of the my clients have the same the issue.
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: [osh.exe] <defunct> process

Post by jwiles »

Man,

You may wish to look at this technote from IBM concerning the zombie processes: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21446117

I would recommend contacting your support provider to determine if there are any specific settings or fixes that are suggested for your particular linux kernel and version of Information Server.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

@jwiles: I have gone through the post and - please correct me if I am wrong - I see that it prescribes methods for orphan processes ?? after job runs ??. The problem as I understood from mandyli and the problem that we have is that when a job is started, it all of a sudden goes into this "hanging" state. I mean, the status might stay running even if the log says the processing finished or the job won't even start at all. Is this addressed by the solution in the IBM's post too?

Thanks for all the inputs.
Vivek Gadwal