APT_INSERTION_SORT

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

san_dwh
Participant

APT_INSERTION_SORT

Post by san_dwh »

What is the exact purpose of APT_INSERTION_SORT
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no environment variable of this name in DataStage.

Is this an interview question?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
XRAY
Participant

Post by XRAY »

Do you mean APT_NO_SORT_INSERTION ?
san_dwh
Participant

Post by san_dwh »

To ray
yes
san_dwh
Participant

Post by san_dwh »

@XRAY.

ya i think. I Don't about this. will you please explain something
XRAY
Participant

Post by XRAY »

Having set APT_NO_SORT_INSERTION = FALSE , datastage will insert sort to your job though you have not explicitly defined it in your job.

There is an earlier discussion on this topic

http://66.34.129.47/viewtopic.php?p=386 ... 365c03d1fd

"Join stage

By default, the Join stage sorts data on both input links. This sorting results in output data that is sorted on the join keys. If the InfoSphere DataStage project environment variable APT_NO_SORT_INSERTION is set, the sort is suppressed. Pushing a Join stage into a database source always generates an ORDER BY clause for the sort keys, as if APT_NO_SORT_INSERTION was not set. "
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

As was stated in that thread, the quoted documentation that was referenced by the OP was specifically for InfoSphere Balanced Optimization, an optional licensed add-on to Information Server. The context in which APT_NO_SORT_INSERTION is mentioned here can be misleading as to it's actual purpose.

san_dwh,

APT_NO_SORT_INSERTION, when set to 1, prevents the automatic insertion of sort operators into a parallel job at runtime. This is documented in the Parallel Job Advance Developer's Guide included with Information Server, as well as in the online Information Center documentation for Information Server found on the IBM website and in numerous threads here on DSXchange.com

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
san_dwh
Participant

Post by san_dwh »

thank you
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In an interview I'd still go with "there's no environment variable of this name". It's good to see the PHB discomfited.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.