Need help in designing Sparse Lookup Job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shawn.k
Premium Member
Premium Member

Need help in designing Sparse Lookup Job

Post by shawn.k »

Hi All,

I need your help in making a design decision. My requirement is to first query SQL Server and get ID & Code. Use this ID to do a lookup on Sybase table to get other information. Problem here is Sybase table is huge (about 300,000 records) and it's except to grow rapidly in couple of years. On the other hand we know that records returned from sql server will not cross more than 1000 records. I thought to use Sparse lookup for this and my only concern is when ever we use Sparse lookup DataStage will issue a select statement to database for each record and I think this will be very resource intensive. I just want to know is there any other way I can design this job or this is my only option.

Thanks,
Shawn
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Your main problem is that sparse lookup is not supported into Sybase. Use a Join stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.