Issue loading data using Oracle Enterprise stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsadm_ws
Premium Member
Premium Member

Issue loading data using Oracle Enterprise stage

Post by dsadm_ws »

Hi All,

I have an issue loading data into an Oracle Enterprise stage.

If i try to load the data into a txt file job runs in about 2 mins.

If I use an Oracle enterprise stage to load the data using Generated Update Only Option it takes about 2hrs.

Job Design:

Oracle Enterprise-->Trnsfrmr-->Oracle Enterprise(Generated Update Only)

Thanks in advance!!!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Apples and oranges, of course.

What kind of volume are we talking about here? And since you are doing "updates only" are your key columns (the fields in your where clause) indexed in the target table?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Get your DBA to monitor what DataStage is asking Oracle to do (that is, to monitor the session).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsadm_ws
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsadm_ws »

@Chulett: Volume of data is about 10million records. No there are no indexes on the Target table.

@Ray: Sure Ray will do that. What kind of issue can we expect when we monitor the session.
nayanpatra
Participant

Post by nayanpatra »

The table could be in load pending state. In that case you may need to release it. I would also like to know which database you are using. I mean to say if you are using a native stage for database loading then it would give better performance. Indexing on the update key column may also play a vital role in the performance. If available you may also go for a connector stage for table load purpose.
Nayan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

nayanpatra wrote:I would also like to know which database you are using.
Given that the subject specifies "using Oracle Enterprise stage" I would hazard the guess that the database is Oracle.
:wink:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

dsadm_ws wrote:Volume of data is about 10million records. No there are no indexes on the Target table.
Hoping you inferred from my question that "no indexes" would not be the preferred answer, yes?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers