Query on Score Dump

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

LD
Premium Member
Premium Member

Query on Score Dump

Post by LD »

Hi,

I have a PX job which is doing several lookups in two lookup stages. I got the Score Dump for the job. I'm pasting a portion of it below which refers to lookup part. I'm not sure if my interpretation is correct but I feel the lookup operation is happening on one node (out of 4 in config file). Can some one help me correct my understanding. And if lookup is indeed happening on 1 node, how to make it run on all 4.

op12[1p] {(parallel APT_LUTCreateOp in Lookup_EffDate)
on nodes (
node1[op12,p0]
)}

op14[1p] {(parallel APT_LUTCreateOp in Lookup)
on nodes (
node1[op14,p0]
)}

Thanks,

Shashank
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The LUT_CreateOp operator (one of two operators in the composite operator generated from a Lookup stage performing "=" lookups) is running on a single node in this score. There are at least three possible reasons for this:
  • the stage is configured for Sequential operation (check the number of nodes on which the LUT_ProcessOp operator is running)

the stage is constrained to execute in a one-node node pool (again check the number of nodes on which the LUT_ProcessOp operator is running)

you are on SMP hardware so that only one process is needed to create the lookup table in shared memory
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
LD
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by LD »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your reply. We are on SMP systeam and I think this might be reason for it as I checked for other two and it is not the case. Execution mode for stages is Parallel and no resource pool constraints are added.

Does this mean the lookup will always work on single node or only the lookup table creation is on single node but actual lookup operation in on all 4 nodes.

Thanks,

Shashank
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The actual lookup operation is performed by LUT_ProcessOp. If that's running in parallel then the lookups are being performed on all nodes, all referring to the single copy in shared memory used to implement the Entire partitioning algorithm.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
LD
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by LD »

Thanks Ray for all the help. The next question is, what can I do to run the lookup on all the nodes.

Thanks,

Shashank
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please confirm the number of nodes on which the LUT_ProcessOp operator is running, from the score.
LD
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by LD »

Hi Ray,

I check the score, APT_LUTProcessOp is running on all 4 nodes for both the lookups.

Thanks a lot for all the help.

Shashank