User Defined SQL

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srao
Premium Member
Premium Member

User Defined SQL

Post by srao »

Hi Ray,

What is the best practice for using the datastage tool (like join or lookup stage )or just writing the user defined queries in data stage oracle stage and just load the database?

our lead told us not use the join stage or any other stage just write query and just upload to oracle stage to load the dimensions or facts . thats what we are doing writing long queries instead using join stage.

I got frustrated writing long queries and my opinion is that we need to utilize the tool as much we can .

What is the purpose of writing the queries and loading that we can do in oracle it self with out using the tool.

In some instance we can write the queries but not for all.

Please suggest me what is the best way to load the table.
nitkuar
Participant

Post by nitkuar »

Is this question for Ray only :!:
ajay.vaidyanathan
Participant

User Defined SQL

Post by ajay.vaidyanathan »

Hi,
Please go ahead and make use of join and lookup stages (lookup - for low volume). The whole idea of getting an ETL engine into the picture is to avoid the overhead on DB. So you can very well go ahead and make use of the available DataStage stages and code it as per your requirement instead of hitting queries against the DB.

I am sure Ray would also agree to this..... :roll:
Regards
Ajay
srao
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: User Defined SQL

Post by srao »

Thank you for your reply.

I have done in privious projects and thats what our manager suggested that writing long user defined queries overhead the DB.

but here we don't have choice to implement our ideas in designing the ETLs.