how to remove "shift in/out characters"

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yimwai
Participant

how to remove "shift in/out characters"

Post by yimwai »

1st,I use PxCFF stage to read an EBCDIC file "F" and load data to table "T", then i read the same file again and use difference stage to compare the data from "T" and "F". ( only compare on column with Chinese characters.)
I find that result is "all different" which is supposed to be "all the same".
I guess that it is caused by shift in/out characters "0E 0F",right?
If right, why DS just discard them when reading the EBCDIC file?then when DS discard the characters?only when writing into the database?can I do the remove action and make the result "all the same"?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The Shift-In and Shift-Out characters will be the same only if you ensure that you define the two stages (CFF and database) with the same NLS settings, otherwise you won't be able to compare the two streams.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Shift-In and Shift-Out are sometimes used to indicate a change of mapping (particularly in Japanese character sets). Beware that these might be important characters before arbitrarily discarding them. Once they're inside a job, they should be able to be discarded with a simple Convert() function.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.