Reading numeric data formatted as text from Excel

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

What is the ODBC Data type for this column declared as?
cooperjv
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by cooperjv »

ArndW wrote:What is the ODBC Data type for this column declared as?
The ODBC Data type for this column is VARCHAR(255)
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

That sounds really strange. If you select all cells and remove formatting in the document, does the error persist?
cooperjv
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by cooperjv »

ArndW wrote:That sounds really strange. If you select all cells and remove formatting in the document, does the error persist?
Removing the formatting OR removing the formatting and reformatting as text does not help. The only way for this to show up as I have found is to have the numeric value prefixed with an apostrophe.
The other way that I got it to work is to introduce two columns. In the first of the new columns enter a formula to check if the value is text and if it is not use the TEXT function to convert it. Then copy this column (only values) to the other new column and then delete the other 2 columns. But this requires manual intervention every time I have to load this data, hence my request for a fix.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I don't have access rights on my current machine to check if this is reproduceable since it sounds too strange. Are the numeric contents that come across as NULL all of a similar tpye, i.e. with leading zeroes or negative values? Do values such as "123" not get transferred correctly?
cooperjv
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by cooperjv »

ArndW wrote:I don't have access rights on my current machine to check if this is reproduceable since it sounds too strange. Are the numeric contents that come across as NULL all of a similar tpye, i.e. with leading zeroes or negative values? Do values such as "123" not get transferred correctly?
There are no leading zeros or negative numbers in this column, The numbers are like , 10,22,55 etc and these show up as NULL while viewing the data and hence NULL when extracted
cooperjv
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by cooperjv »

ArndW wrote:I don't have access rights on my current machine to check if this is reproduceable since it sounds too strange. Are the numeric contents that come across as NULL all of a similar tpye, i.e. with leading zeroes or negative values? Do values such as "123" not get transferred correctly?
There are no leading zeros or negative numbers in this column, The numbers are like , 10,22,55 etc and these show up as NULL while viewing the data and hence NULL when extracted