Output dataset not partitioned as expected

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

le thuong
Premium Member
Premium Member

Output dataset not partitioned as expected

Post by le thuong »

I have set up a APT_CONFIG_FILE with 2 nodes, and a job writing to a dataset from a Transformer stage (Execution mode = Parallel). The dataset shows only 1 partition (expected 2 partitions).

I made another job with a Change Capture stage, writing to a dataset. It also shows only 1 partition.

Did I miss a prerequisite ? Is there another environment variable to set ?

Thanks in advance
Thuong

best regards
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Look into your director log for an entry starting "Environment variable settings..." and in the details for that entry see which APT_CONFIG file was actually used for the run - is it the 2-node you expected? I suspect not.
le thuong
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by le thuong »

Yes, I have chosen the 2-node APT_CONFIG file.
Thuong

best regards
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

In that case, how are you determining that there is only 1 partition in your dataset? I would use the Director -> Tools -> Dataset Management to examine the dataset.
le thuong
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by le thuong »

ArndW wrote:In that case, how are you determining that there is only 1 partition in your dataset? I would use the Director -> Tools -> Dataset Management to examine the dataset.
Thanks for your answer.

I have also used Designer-> Tools -> Dataset Management and checked that all records are written on 1 node only.

Another colleague told me to reboot the server. I have to test this, but I am currently at a remote location.
Thuong

best regards
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Perhaps you specified the output dataset to run "sequentially", this would explain your issue as well. I doubt that rebooting the server would affect this particular problem, but it can't hurt it, either.

Roy's suggestion of "Having you tried turning it off and on again?" certainly works in many cases. Moss's recommendation of "Have you tried forcing an unexpected reboot?" usually doesn't :roll:
le thuong
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by le thuong »

ArndW wrote:Perhaps you specified the output dataset to run "sequentially", this would explain your issue as well. I doubt that rebooting the server would affect this particular problem, but it can't hurt it, either.

Roy's suggestion of "Having you tried turning it off and on again?" certainly works in many cases. Moss's recommendation of "Have you tried forcing an unexpected reboot?" usually doesn't :roll:
The execution mode is set to Parallel. Thanks for your input.
Thuong

best regards
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Open up a job monitor from the director after the job has run and set it to show instances. Does it show 2 instances for the transform stage?
le thuong
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by le thuong »

ArndW wrote:Open up a job monitor from the director after the job has run and set it to show instances. Does it show 2 instances for the transform stage?
Thanks for your help. I keep this issue on hold a few days until I return from another location.
Thuong

best regards
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Post your 2 node configuration file as well. I saw this behavior once with what appeared to be a 2 node configuration at first glance. Ended up that there was an extra set of curly braces misplaced that essentially caused the second node to be ignored.

Mike
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

set APT_DUMP_SCORE=1 and see what the framework is really doing
le thuong
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by le thuong »

Mike wrote:Post your 2 node configuration file as well. I saw this behavior once with what appeared to be a 2 node configuration at first glance. Ended up that there was an extra set of curly braces misplaced that essentially caused the second node to be ignored.

Mike
Thanks, Mike.

You are probably right. Here is my initial syntax:
{
node "node1"
{
fastname "BERNINI3"
pools ""
resource disk "E:/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Datasets" {pools ""}
resource scratchdisk "E:/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Scratch" {pools ""}
}
}