Deadlock Issue

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srini.dw
Premium Member
Premium Member

Deadlock Issue

Post by srini.dw »

Hi,

We are having few jobs for 30 countries, which are running every 1 minute in every hour.

Few times job gets aborted, when trying to insert the same table.

Because of this we getting error like RDBMS code 2631: Transaction ABORTed due to deadlock.

We are using TPT Stage with Immediate Option with 1 node configuration.

From pdf manual (i.,e Connectivity guide) i got

To avoid deadlocks when the Teradata connector performs immediate writes in parallel mode, specify a partitioning method that ensures that the updates to a row come from the same partition.

Each partition uses a separate connection to the Teradata database. If multiple updates for a row do not come from the same connection, deadlocks can occur. For example, if you have a two-node configuration and you specify a round-robin partitioning method, each partition might have updates to the same row. When the first partition updates a row, the connection for the partition holds a write lock on the row until the transaction is committed at the end of the job. The second partition cannot update the row until the connection for the first partition is released, which causes a deadlock.

My Question
Since we have only one-node configuration, will the deadlock issue resolve?

Thank You,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A one-node configuration should not be able to create self-deadlocks. Look farther - is anything else accessing/updating the same Teradata table(s)?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

one node configuration would not solve deadlock issue. one node is only from the datastage end but if two jobs are are loading data into the same table at same time deadlock will occur.

Need to do appropriate partitioning of the table based on data.

Regards
Sreeni