find datastage jobs in project using field name

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

singhald
Participant

find datastage jobs in project using field name

Post by singhald »

Hi All,

I have to do some amendment in a field which is being used by datastage jobs in a project. I have 1000s of datastage jobs in my project. I need to findout the impected datastage jobs which are using that fields.

Can any one please let me know if we have any utility/ program by which we can do this.

Thanks in Advance.
Deepak
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The Usage Analysis tool in the Manager, perhaps, its icon looks like a 'beaker'. That or by searching a dsx export of the project.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
singhald
Participant

Post by singhald »

Thanks Craig,

I think, The first option of Usage Analysis doesn't give the informaiton about the field/metadata.

I am trying the second option, but it is taking lot of time and it manual work which currently i am doing.

Please let me know if you have come accross this type of problem before and how did you workout.

Thanks

Deepak
Regards,
Deepak Singhal
Everything is okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you have stored your table meta data in the repository and loaded it into the job then the first option does exactly what you need. Otherwise, you've got no other option but a search of the dsx. Well, except for things like Chuck Smith as written, he has a utility to parse a dsx and I've modified it in the past to load the results to a database table so they become query-able.

Check out his website at: www.anotheritco.com
-craig

eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Metadata Workbench can provide you with this information also, by doing a query that looks at "Stage Columns"....which are effectively, Columns-on-a-link.....

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
vinothkumar
Participant

Post by vinothkumar »

I think you can tweak the below query running in Universe tables for your need.

SELECT DS_JOBS.NAME AS JOB_NAME, DS_JOBS.CATEGORY , DS_JOBOBJECTS.NAME AS OBJECT_NAME , DS_JOBOBJECTS.OLETYPE , EVAL DS_JOBOBJECTS."if index(upcase(@RECORD),'YOUR_FIELD_NAME',1) > 0 then 'FOUND' else ''" AS RECORD , EVAL DS_JOBOBJECTS."@RECORD<8>" AS OBJ_TYPE FMT '50L' FROM DS_JOBS, DS_JOBOBJECTS WHERE DS_JOBS.JOBNO = DS_JOBOBJECTS.OBJIDNO AND RECORD='FOUND';

Same SQL will be used the find the list of jobs using a particular table.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

eostic wrote:Metadata Workbench can provide you with this information also, by doing a query that looks at "Stage Columns"....which are effectively, Columns-on-a-link.....
And that is available in the 7.x release?
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

vinothkumar wrote:I think you can tweak the below query running in Universe tables for your need.
That looks very... Duke like. :wink:
-craig

vinothkumar
Participant

Post by vinothkumar »

Yes Criag. That SQL was taken from this forum only. :lol:
We can create a simple server job with universe stage to execute this SQL.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

And to Craig's point, Workbench isn't available in 7.x, but you could import 7.x Jobs into 8.x with Workbench and immediately analyze them (meaning, they don't have to be compiled and running in v8, just imported).

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>