macro vs routine

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

agpt
Participant

macro vs routine

Post by agpt »

Hi,

What is the difference between DS Macro and parallel routine/DS routine?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A DS macro is an interlude to a DS function so there is no difference between them. DS functions are written in DataStage BASIC.

Parallel routines, however, are written in C++ and therefore can not be invoked through DS macros.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
agpt
Participant

Post by agpt »

ray.wurlod wrote:A DS macro is an interlude to a DS function so there is no difference between them. DS functions are written in DataStage BASIC.

Parallel routines, however, are written in C++ and therefore can no ...
Ray,

I am unable to see your full reply. would it possible for you to take premium setting off this reply?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Would it be possible for you to obtain a premium membership so that you CAN read all of my reply?

Premium membership is the main way in which DSXchange's continued existence is funded.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
agpt
Participant

Post by agpt »

Is anybody aware of what is the exact difference between macro, function and routine in data stage server jobs?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes. Once you have your premium membership you will be able to join them.
agpt
Participant

Post by agpt »

ray.wurlod wrote:Yes. Once you have your premium membership you will be able to join them.
I am sorry Ray but I didn't get what you meant by "you will be able to join them".

I was simply asking if anybody is aware of exact difference betwen these.