null handling warning

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Marley777
Premium Member
Premium Member

null handling warning

Post by Marley777 »

How can I get rid of warnings comming from my lookup stage teling me no null handling has not been set up for fields that can have null values? Thanks for your help. I have a sequncer that should fail with warning, but not the "no null handling" warnings. Is there a way to turn off the null handling warnings?
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

Simply handle nulls. What is your mainstream and reference stage?
Kandy
Premium Member

Post by Marley777 »

Hi KandyShandy, there is no place to handle nulls in the lkup stage. My job reads data from a database (db2 connector stage), does a lookup (lookup stage) against another database (db2 conntor stage), and writes to a sequential file. How do you recommend we handle nulls?

Thanks
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

Since i don't have access to DS at this moment, i could not tell you more precisely. If you don't have that feature in the stage you are using, use Message Handler to demote the warning to informational message. Then your sequence would not abort for this particular warning.
Kandy
Premium Member

Post by Marley777 »

I already created a message handler, but need to know if this is the best approach, are there other alternatives?

Thanks.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Demoting the message to informational is not going to help you, since the warning is most likely occurring in the sequential file write stage and any rows with one or more nulls will not get written to the output unless you handle nulls. You will need to handle nulls for all nullable columns when writing to a sequential file.
rohithmuthyala
Participant

Post by rohithmuthyala »

Hi,

You can open the sequential file stage, select the nullable column select the option edit row and then assign a default value which needs to be written if it encounters any NULLS in the actual data.
Rohith