What is the conductor node, section leader and player?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

skyboyfli
Participant

What is the conductor node, section leader and player?

Post by skyboyfli »

Can anybody explain What is the conductor node, section leader and player?
this is nice
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you attended the IBM class "DataStage Essentials"? That's the easiest way to obtain this knowledge. Of course, it's also in the manuals and in the Info Center for Information Server.

The parallel execution engine is called "Orchestrate" and uses the metaphor of an orchestra.
When a parallel job starts the first process is called the "conductor". This looks after the score (a separate discussion) and (starts processes called and) passes the score to the section leaders. There is one section leader on each node mentioned in the parallel execution configuration file. Each section leader, in turn, controls a number of player processes. There is one player process for each operator mentioned in the score.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
behrouz
Participant

Post by behrouz »

ray.wurlod wrote:Have you attended the IBM class "DataStage Essentials"? That's the easiest way to obtain this knowledge. Of course, it's also in the manuals and in the Info Center for Information Server. ...
Ray,

It s better to explain him instead of saying where can he find it,
it s not the good way if you want to be the first responders

I see the most treat of you, it is the same
thanks
Arash
behrouz
Participant

Re: What is the conductor node, section leader and player?

Post by behrouz »

skyboyfli wrote:Can anybody explain What is the conductor node, section leader and player?
I know only about the node,
in fact you can define in how many node your job can be run on parallel

for example if you have 2 CPU , you can run in two CPU

you can also define in each stage of your job to run in which node if you have more than 1 node
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Those with premium membership will find my answer to be a complete answer to the original question.

Premium membership is one of the ways that the hosting and bandwidth costs needed to keep DSXchange functioning are met. Premium membership is not expensive, at less than 30c (Rs12) per day, and that's before any corporate discounts you may be able to get.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
behrouz
Participant

Post by behrouz »

ray.wurlod wrote:Those with premium membership will find my answer to be a complete answer to the original question.

Premium membership is one of the ways that the hosting and bandwidth costs needed to keep DSXchange functioning are met. Premium membership is not expensive, at less than 30c (Rs12) per day, and that's before any corporate discounts you may be able to get.
You mean that we have to pay to have a correct answer !!
that s not the way that we help the people,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

So you'd prefer not to have DSXchange survive?
:roll:
behrouz
Participant

Post by behrouz »

ray.wurlod wrote:So you'd prefer not to have DSXchange survive?
:roll:
why not for free, as I help as I can for free
lol
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

behrouz -
No poster is being paid to help here, it is all done on a volunteer basis. Running a website costs money and the membership fees help defer costs.

While you seem to feel that all help should be free, I note that you have chosen not to do so - had you posted a full response it would have been visible to all.
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Behrouz : We see value in premium membership , as datastage is in many ways our key to real-world income or 'manna' whatever its called.. And as an independent consultant , some of the technical advice received on datstage saves me or my firm enough time and effort that would cost hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in troubleshooting ..and 27 odd cents a day seems pretty reasonable..

That being said.. have you ever stubled across a website that was free and available in google search results but went dead because the ISP stopped hosting it- Thats exactly what we dont want to happen to dsxchange..

Also remember that some dedicated premium posters spent a significant fraction of time posting information thats not readily available or apparent in documentation - time which they could spend equally usefully in their own ventures ..

For those consultants who work for a organization - there's the benefit of corporate membership - tell your account managers about it..
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

behrouz,
Do you do coding in your organization for free ? If somebody is helping then the least you expect is to be 'ask kindly' NOT 'demand'. Here all are volunteers working for free.
8)
behrouz
Participant

Post by behrouz »

all I am ok with you about running website, Hosting etc...

but I m saying if you want to help someone help him in a correct way,
do not say go and find there your responds,

if you do not want to answer it is better to say not thing and leave the Replies to 0
to let the other to help him

it s not the correct way if you know the responds you ask him to search for it

if someone is here, that mean he is blocking face a stupide bug and he is looking for some way to get it out

and at the end everyone is not free lance like you ;)
thanks to all
with regards Arash
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's no bug. Therefore I stand by my position to make my answer a premium one. If you don't know the answer to this particular question you are still able to function as a DataStage developer.
behrouz
Participant

Post by behrouz »

ray.wurlod wrote:There's no bug. Therefore I stand by my position to make my answer a premium one. If you don't know the answer to this particular question you are still able to function as a DataStage developer.
Hey ray,

I m talking in summary and not just you, and plz speak with respect(I know it was not a bug)
it s better to close this treat,

I would just say that if you help do it cleary it will be appreciate,
and if not forget it.

Regards.
battaliou
Participant

Post by battaliou »

This is actually quite an advanced topic but try to think in terms of a musical orchestra or a choir... Set up the environment variable $APT_DUMP_SCORE in your job. This will display the "score" in your log file. This score could also be considered as the conductor node which shows the entire job. The section leaders really are each the stages in your job e.g. in music you may have 4 parts being sung by two people each, soprano, alto, tenor and bass. These stages generate the players or individual unix process ids PID's which also comunicate with each other as they need to work together. Score can be a bit misleading because it simply defines the structure of your job, rather than the music, which is regarded as the data flowing through it.
3NF: Every non-key attribute must provide a fact about the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key. So help me Codd.