How to Replace DataStage Administrator ID by Others

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Brian Zhang
Participant

How to Replace DataStage Administrator ID by Others

Post by Brian Zhang »

Dear All,

We have a case that requires to change current DataStage administrator id to others in order to facilitate a functional request.

For example, the current DataStage administrator ID is dsadm (granted during DataStage installation), but we want to change it to another ID, like dsabc. After that, the new administrator ID, dsabc, would take over the DataStage administration(start/stop DS engine, create/delete DS project...) in AIX...

Please feel free to share any insight with me.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Brian
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

You need to call your service provider. I know IBM Customer Service has a procedure you need to follow to switch administrators. It is both risky (ask them - they won't guarantee it won't have issues!) and complex.

The last two times I did this I ended up having to uninstall DataStage and re-install with the new administrator id. It worked. I've even done it once at 8.1 FixPack 1 and it worked.

Remember though, if you've been using your admin id to run jobs you'll also need the UNIX admin to do a global file-system change of the permissions from the old id to the new id.

This is not trivial! You might want to just consider changing the password on the old id...

And for goodness sake - BACKUP FIRST!
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Andy, that's the Information Server administrator.

Changing DataStage administrator is simply a matter of giving the suite component role "DataStage and QualityStage Administrator" to the new user (and maybe revoking it from the old).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Brian Zhang
Participant

Re: How to Replace DataStage Administrator ID by Others

Post by Brian Zhang »

Thanks Andy and Ray.

I found that the IBM Customer Service had ever provided a script called setowner.sh to fulfill this task before...

Not sure if anybody here know the content of this script and share it with me.

Thanks

Brian
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

For the DataStage administrator this script is not necessary. Follow the advice in my earlier post.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Oops - my bad - I was thinking Info Server Admin, not regular Admin. Ray is correct - good catch!
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020