Re Naming DataSets

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

edison
Participant

Re Naming DataSets

Post by edison »

Iam running a job with dataset name test1.ds, after the job run the dataset name need to be change to test.ds in the same path specified.How can i do in orchadmin,help me out.
Nokia8800
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can not rename, but you can copy then delete.

This will temporarily require double the volume of the Data Set on your resource disk(s).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

If you are only interested on the .ds file, you can rename it in Unix itself.
ajay.vaidyanathan
Participant

Re Naming DataSets

Post by ajay.vaidyanathan »

You can use DataSet Management in the TOOLS to achieve this. But the exact functionality for which you are doing this is not going to get resolved. In DataStage you cannot rename a DataSet. You can only copy it and reuse it using the Orchadmin cmd.
Regards
Ajay
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sainath.Srinivasan wrote:If you are only interested on the .ds file, you can rename it in Unix itself.
That is ill-advised, because the segment files' names on the resource disk include the descriptor file name.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

ray.wurlod wrote:
Sainath.Srinivasan wrote:If you are only interested on the .ds file, you can rename it in Unix itself.
That is ill-advised, because the segment files' names on the resource disk include the descriptor file name.
Ill-advised ? But when do you think anyone will work directly on the data segments ? Any orchadmin on the .ds file will automatically impact the segment files.

So I do not think it is a bad idea.

Even in oracle, when you truncate a table, all it does is to remove the high-water mark. In Unix, when you delete a file, it only nullifies the inode. Similar is this case.