NullToValue and other Null handling functions result error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

just4geeks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: NullToValue and other Null handling functions result err

Post by just4geeks »

kwwilliams wrote:When DataStage makes the connection it sends the sql statement to the database and run time metadata is returned, which is why you get the warning in the Neteeza said:

"When checking operator: When validating import schema: At field "sample": Importing potential null to not nullable field"....
In the Metadata, a few columns have been set to Nullable and the rest to Non-Nullable. I have now set Nullability to Yes for all columns in the Netezza Stage. To test if it works, I retained just 2 columns and the jobs runs fine. However, when I tried to bring in all the additional columns, the job aborts with a different error message.

Code: Select all

Un-handled conversion error on field "quintile " from source type "string[1]" to destination type "int8":
source value=" "; the result is non-nullable and there is no handle_null to specify a default value.
I have specifically set the "quintile " field to char(5) in both the Netezza and the Transformer stage, and the transformation is NulltoValue(quintile,space(100)). Any idea where is it getting the int8 from?
Attitude is everything....
HariK
Participant

Post by HariK »

Just wondering are you by any chance using 'User Defined SQL'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A space character is not a valid value for an int8 column.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
just4geeks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by just4geeks »

ray.wurlod wrote:A space character is not a valid value for an int8 column.
Hi Ray,
I have specifically set the datatype for the 'quintile' field as char(5) in the transformer.
just4geeks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by just4geeks »

HariK wrote:Just wondering are you by any chance using 'User Defined SQL'
No, I am not.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The error messages says that you're writing into an int8 somewhere. Show us the full error message, including the name of the stage that's generating it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.