VSAM file to UNIX base

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

TryMe
Participant

VSAM file to UNIX base

Post by TryMe »

Hi

Can we read a OS390 VSAM file via DataStage PX version in an UNIX env?
Do we need to install the Mainframe version of DataStage tool to do this work?
Looking forward to get some ans...

Thanks,
TryMe
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Where are the files residing ? How is it extracted from Mainframe ? Is there any link between the Mainframe and your DataStage server ? Are you using any VSAM ODBC driver to connect to mainframe ?

Without knowing these, it is difficult to answer.

If the file resides in Mainframe and is standalone, you need DS/390 to extract data using the COBOL code produced.

If the file resides in Unix or you have ODBC drivers, you can use the default DataStage PX (aka InfoSphere).
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Partial answer

Post by FranklinE »

I explored this from a different angle recently, and found that CFF must have DS/mainframe installed for direct access between the Unix processes and the mainframe datasets (of any format, including VSAM).

I am using FTP Enterprise to get sequential dataset data. I would very much like to see how that could work with VSAM.
TryMe
Participant

Post by TryMe »

File reside in Mainframe - VSAM stored as GDG(s).

I am have not seen a OS/390 utility in the DS version I am using.. so the question I had is - is this an add on utility to install?
Looking forward to get some ans...

Thanks,
TryMe