Load 60 Million records from SAP to DB2

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

creatingfusion
Participant

Load 60 Million records from SAP to DB2

Post by creatingfusion »

Hi,

I am trying to import around 60 Million Records from SAP R3 ABAP Stage to the DB2 Database. The source stage is the ABAP Program Stage to pull the records from R3 using the ABAP program. Then we are getting the data loaded into DB2 database without any transformation in between.

In this process the complete load process takes around 40 hours to complete. Its performance is around 450 rows per second and is pretty slow. I am confused if the ABAP Program Stage is able to utilize the parallelism of DataStage job

Please provide valuable suggestion and feed back on the issue how the performance can be improved for the job.
Also please comment on the parallelism of the ABAP Progran Stage.

Regards
Abhijit
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Load 60 Million records from SAP to DB2

Post by vivekgadwal »

I am assuming you are doing a normal "Insert" operation. This is a logged activity and hence it consumes a lot of time. You could try using Bulk loading.
Vivek Gadwal

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
creatingfusion
Participant

Post by creatingfusion »

can u please let me know a bit more on how to do the bulk loading
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

creatingfusion wrote:can u please let me know a bit more on how to do the bulk loading
That's a DB2 question, not a DataStage one. It depends on the details of your DB2 installation. For example, your first question might be do you have BMC utilities available. If, you do, then it might be a lot faster to FTP your data from Unix to the mainframe first, then run a mainframe job for the bulk load. DataStage might be the wrong approach, especially since you have no transformations involved.

I agree with Vivek. Your biggest performance hit is likely the logging. Anything you can do to avoid it is a good first step.
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

Bulk load is another way of loading rows into a table. It is very handy to do huge loads, like the one you have, into the table from the backend. You can learn in detail about Bulk loading into a database from a variety of resources available online and by talking to your DBA.

However, you need to learn about the DB2 Bulk load stage and configuring it. The DataStage documentation for this stage gives detailed set-up instructions as well as configuring it to work. The stage creates 3 files (it doesn't directly load into the table). You would be needing a script that can trigger this process after the files are created. I would recommend talking to your DBA about this script as you may have already have one in the shop. :wink:
Vivek Gadwal

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted