CFF stage for reading EBCDIC file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Akhobare
Participant

CFF stage for reading EBCDIC file

Post by Akhobare »

Hi,
I am novice to CFF satge and EBCDIC files.I m trying to read EBCDIC file through CFF stage.

I set properties ,

Record Type= Fixed
Char Set=EBCDIC
Data Format = Binary
Byte Order = Native Indian

& then imported Pl/I definition. While viewing source data i am getting error, "error executing View Data command:##E IIS-DSEE-TOIX-00179 06:45:34(002) <Complex_Flat_File_1,0> Import error at record 1."

Error may be related to PL/I layout or data. Can any one give me pointers for below, that may help me debug CFF related issues.

1> How can we view EBCDIC files (like in Unix,textpad)? Can migrate it to ASCII format?
2> Any documentation for PL/I layout , i want to know more on PL/I data types.
3> Any documentation on multirecord EBCDIC files?
4> Anything more i should know for handling CFF stages apart from DS Help?

Other issue we facing,

We are trying to read multi-record format EBCDIC file, which again is failing. I guess Record-Id tab is causing issue. Do we need to specify "Record_type= this" and "Record_type=that" for 2 layouts?
I can't view EBCDIC file record_type data.
Regards,
Akshay
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

"dd" or "od" can be used to view EBCDIC files directly on UNIX (use Google to get the syntax and description). If you would post the PL1 definitions or an excerpt to this thread we could go through the different datatypes but they will most likely be those you already know - integer, string, decimal and floating point.

There should be a bit more to the error message which describes what sort of import error.