Do we need a dedicated WAS administrator for 8.1?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Etler21
Participant

Do we need a dedicated WAS administrator for 8.1?

Post by Etler21 »

We are planning to upgrate our system from 7.5 to 8.1.

Want to know which component gives more trouble out of Engine layer,WAS or XMETA.
Do we require a seperate WAS admin to take care of our system or a basic understnding of WAS will do.

Cheers

[*Note - title changed to be more descriptive of actual issue - Andy*]
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If it's done right none of the components gives any trouble.

There is not really any need for a WAS administrator; once WAS has been set up (primarily for user authentication) there's nothing more to do other than to include it in the proper shut down/start up sequence.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

Definitely no need for a WAS admin. Since the installation here, I initially used it to set up LDAP as the security protocol and never visited it again. We are running under Windows 2003 so I do have a script from one of the IBM pages that has the sequence of starting up and shutting down various services. As far as the xmeta db I only had one issue 30 days after the install because it ended up the password for the instance owner was set to expiring as the default. Once we realized that was the issue we unlocked the ID had security change it to a non-expiring password and never looked back.

- - John
Etler21
Participant

Post by Etler21 »

great information friends..
John Could you please share the link of that script which you are talking about OR email me at etler21@gmail.com
That script will be really helpful for me.

Cheers
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

You are better advised to ask IBM support for guidance.
The do the due-diligence and provide you the roadmap

Regards
Sreeni
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Though you don't need a WAS admin, I do recommend taking the IBM Admin course for 8.1. It covers many of the topics you need to learn to be able to do, including adding new users, system maintenance, etc.

Installing 8.1 and getting it running is significantly harder than 7.5. It is NOT something you are going to be able to do on your own the first time without either consulting assistance or some trainingl
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020