Oracle connector behavior on connection parameter

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

muralisankarr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Oracle connector behavior on connection parameter

Post by muralisankarr »

Hi,

We got new connector stage few days back and today i noticed that the connector stage replace the connection parameters by the run time value. I have set the connection parameter to #pSSILSid#, #pSSILUser#, #pSSILPassword#. But it has replaced the runtime value of the parameters to the connection value. Is it the correct behavior? If so how to parameterize the connection data to a connector stage? Please help

Many Thanks
MSR
The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The site that I'm currently at is a windows 8.1 installation and we same the same error - we don't know what causes it (one guess is when a job is "saved as", but even then the error seems to be sporadic). While we have support for DS getting a valid support case opened here is difficult due to the company structures and responsibilities, otherwise we would already have opened up a ticket for this very irksome issue.

Perhaps you could open up a call with your support provider, as this is definately a bug in the product. It will be a while before I can do so here.
muralisankarr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by muralisankarr »

We logged a PMR with IBM. Will update on any response
The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

That is great news. Because of bureaucracy at my current site it will be weeks before I can get a valid support ID at IBM in order to do the same. It would be very nice if you could post the results here so that I can "piggyback". I've now had to manually go through many jobs and check all of the connectors to find replaced parameters and it is slow and painful work.
muralisankarr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by muralisankarr »

AndW,

The issue is intermittent. I couldn't able to reproduce it. IBM has asked me to provide them the job export of the job and after run. i.e., before and after snapshot of the jobs and parameters in dsx. We haven't started using connectors heavily in our jobs. The issue appeared in the couple of jobs are not exhibiting the same behavior! Please share the steps or some way to simulate the behavior.

Many Thanks
MSR
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

We have only seen it intermittently as well. Conjecture was that it occurs somehow when doing a "save as" or perhaps when cut-and-pasting the stage from one job to another.
yannish
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by yannish »

Hi,

I faced the same issue the other day and after some testing found out that at least one way to reproduce the issue is to use "View data"-functionality before saving the job with a new connector stage.

So basically when you add a new connector stage and use parameters in it you should save the job before using the "View data"-functionality.

The environment where I was testing this was DS 8.1.0.1 on Linux.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I believe (at 8.5 anyway) that when you load a Data Connection object into the Connector you get the actual "as defined" values from the Data Connection rather than parameters. You can then go and replace these with parameter references, even from the Parameter Set associated with the Data Connection. When you then click OK to close the Connector stage a dialog appears asking if you want to remove the connection with the Data Connection. Answer Yes. Curiously, when you re-open the Connector stage, it's still marked as associated with the Data Connection object, but the parameter references are preserved. Strange behaviour, but at least it lets me use parameters.

Now, how to add environment variables to a Parameter Set that is associated with a Data Connection object...
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.