Oracler stages not working after upgrade to 8.1

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Oracler stages not working after upgrade to 8.1

Post by hsahay »

Our old server configuration was this -

Aix 5.3
Datastage 7.5.1
using Oracle 10G 32 bit client to connect to oracle 10G database.

We just did an In-place upgrade to the below server configuration -

AIX 6.1
Datastage 8.1
using oracle 11G 64 bit client to connect to oracle 11G database.

After the upgrade all oracle stages across all jobs (except the ODBC stage) are misbehaving -

Oracle OCI stage - hangs when we do a "View Data"

Oracle Enterprise stage - gives the following error when we do a View Data -

##I IIS-DSEE-TFCN-00001 13:24:24(000) <main_program>
IBM WebSphere DataStage Enterprise Edition 8.1.0.5447
Copyright (c) 2001, 2005-2008 IBM Corporation. All rights reserved

##I IIS-DSEE-TFCN-00006 13:24:24(001) <main_program> conductor uname: -s=AIX; -r=1; -v=6; -n=qastg2; -m=00CAFD324C00
>##F IIS-DSEE-TFIR-00003 13:24:24(002) <main_program> Fatal Error: Duplicate class registration for: APT_HostFileNameImpl

Any idea what is causing this ? Did we mess up during the upgrade process ? Unlikely because we did the exact same kind of upgrade on another server and that server is working without any issues. :(
vishal
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Is Oracle on the same machine? If not, since you also upgraded the OS, can you still do a tnsping to the Oracle instance? Can you connect to Oracle from the command line?

Perhaps there are still 32-bit drivers installed. Could your paths, after sourcing the dsenv file, still be pointing to 32-bit drivers?
hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hsahay »

No. Oracle is on a different machine.

I can tnsping from the datastage machine to oracle machine and I can also connect to oracle with sqlplus.

I used the command below to confirm that we are using 64 bit client.

dump -ah -X64 /app/product/oracle/DBBASE/11.2/lib/libclntsh.so

Also, ODBC stage can view data. It's just the OCI and enterprise stages that have some issue.
vishal
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Your Oracle "bit-ness" doesn't matter, what matters is if DataStage itself is 32bit or 64bit, you'll need to match your drivers to that.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hsahay »

Chulett :

AIX 6.1 and DS 8.1 are supposed to be 64 bit. Are they not ? Are you saying that our sys admin might have upgraded our DS 7.5.1 to a 32 bit version of DS 8.1 ?
vishal
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I have no idea what is what anymore, 64 v. 32, however if everything is 64bit now on that platform then you should be fine leveraging the 64bit Oracle drivers.
-craig

hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hsahay »

LOL @ Chulette

I too have not been able to get a definitive answer to this 64/32 bit story but just so you know

We have another server that was upgraded to AIX 6.1 / DS 8.1. It had the oracle 10G 32 bit client which did not work but as soon as we upgraded to oracle 10G 64 bit client things started working. Now ofcourse we have 11G client on it.

Currently we have atleast 3 servers running AIX 6.1 + DS 8.1 + Oracle 11G 64 bit client without any issues.
vishal
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then if you've done this combination before and it works but things are not working on this particular server then it seems like we're back to a configuration problem, most likely in your "shared library" environment variable I would think. As Arnd noted, I would triple-check your dsenv file and make sure everything is pathed correctly.
-craig

hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hsahay »

I checked my configurations throughly and there is nothing wrong with them.
Now what ?

What do you guys make of this error in am getting in the enterprise stage ?

>##F IIS-DSEE-TFIR-00003 13:24:24(002) <main_program> Fatal Error: Duplicate class registration for: APT_HostFileNameImpl
vishal
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I have no clue, perhaps others might. Seems to me you are rapidly sliding into Official Support Provider time, if you haven't already contacted them.
-craig