Null Handling

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You will need to identify the stage actually triggering the error message, and in order to do that you need to set $APT_DISABLE_COMBINATION to "true" for one run. Without that step we can't really progress in determining your problem.
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

Just one more bit of info...sounds silly of me to give it out so late..but just came to know...The initial job which I described in my first post, the nullability of target was set to 'Yes' I mean to say in the output of the transformer where IsNull function was used..Does that make any change ? because when job aborted, the prod support guy re ran after changing nullability to No and it ran just fine... :D
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Yes, that makes a significant difference, as you have noted.
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

Please don't mind, but I need more info here..I agree I used a null handler and converted all nulls to spaces. But in target if I leave Nullability as Yes, how does it make a difference...Is it that, in DataStage if you use any null handling function for a given field, the nullability of that field in output should be 'No' ? Please explain
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Somehow the descriptions in this thread make it seem very confusing to me.

1. You have an Oracle Field "X" which is nullable
2. You read this field into DataStage, where it is still called "X" and is marked as nullable
3. You perform a NullToEmpty(X) and receive an error.

Is this fundamentally correct? Please, as I've asked before, turn on $APT_PRINT_SCHEMAS and re-run your job. Check in the output entry for the Schemas whether the field is marked as "nullable" in the output link from your Oracle stage. If it is still nullable, then keep on looking at links until you get to your transform stage. Somewhere along the line this field is being turned into a non-nullable one.

Until you narrow down the problem to a specific stage any further discussion in this thread is not going to help solve your problem.