max number of invocation id.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

GJ_Stage
Participant

max number of invocation id.

Post by GJ_Stage »

Can someone help me how many invocation id jobs can create under one job.

Sample : One job called ReadProcess. We are calling the same job using invocation ids like below

ReadProcess.load1
ReadProcess.load2
ReadProcess.load3

What I am asking is, how many jobs we can call using invocation id like above (any limitation).

Thanks in advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no logical limitation on the number of different invocation IDs.

Obviously there is a physical limitation deriving from the capacity of the server(s) on which they are running.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
GJ_Stage
Participant

Post by GJ_Stage »

Thanks Ray for your reply. :P

As you said "physical limitation deriving from the capacity of the server".
Can you tell me sample server name and capacity we can maintain invocation id. This will very helpful to me to define the same in Production machine.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No idea, because I have no idea what demands your particular jobs place on the server(s). You can measure this. I cannot.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

When you monitor a job it gives you the percentage of CPU. You can also measure whether or not the system is paging. When you start paging then you are not going to get much more work done if you run more jobs. Same is for disk IO. If you start waiting on disk writes then you have hit a wall. So keep running jobs until you start paging or waiting on disks. I would also measure how long everything runs or how many records get processed. You may actually slow down even before you start paging or waiting on disk IO.
Mamu Kim