Timestamp error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ragunathan Gunasekaran
Participant

Timestamp error

Post by Ragunathan Gunasekaran »

Hi ,

I am reading a Timestamp column from a flat file but it comes with some default values as '0000-00-00 00:00:00' which i have to convert that as Null before i try to insert them to my oracle database.

The design of job looks like below

Sequential stage ----> Transformer -----> Oracle database(ODBC stage)

In the transformer i have written a derivation to handle this but i am getting a warning while the job runs

If link_name.Column_name =StringToTimestamp('0000-00-00 00:00:00','%yyyy-%mm-%nn %hh:%nn:%ss) Then SetNull() Else link_name.Column_name

I am getting as warning as
Conversion error calling conversion routine timestamp_from_string data may have been lost
Because of this the job is also aborting.Any clue of how to get rid of this Please
Regards
Ragu
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Since 0000-00-00 is not a valid date, the StringToTimestamp() throws an exception. Handle it as an ordinary string in the If..Then..Else construct, and handle the conversion in the Else clause.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You need to convert it only if it is not that value. So first SetNull() on a full string match else do the conversion to a Timestamp.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Ragunathan Gunasekaran
Participant

Post by Ragunathan Gunasekaran »

As per Ray's comment StringToTimestamp() function was not accepting value as '0000-00-00 00:00:00' and hence read the column as a varchar and performed the Value to Null conversion. Thanks for the advise
Regards
Ragu