performance tips

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bhargav_dd
Premium Member
Premium Member

performance tips

Post by bhargav_dd »

Hi All,

I need to give a document on Performance tips and Coding standards before the project development starts in Datastage.

Since I am new to Datastage can you help me in this. By performance tips I mean things like:
1:Whether its better to use an SQL Join Statement or a Lookup stage or a Join stage, which of them is more faster and efficient.
2: Is it better to use Orderby or the sort stage etc.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

There is no one fixed efficient method. If it had been, the software developers would not have developed other stages or operators.

If you are new to DataStage, why are you tasked with putting together such a 'performance tips and coding standards document' !!??
Shaanpriya
Participant

Post by Shaanpriya »

Sainath.Srinivasan wrote: If you are new to DataStage, why are you tasked with putting together such a 'performance tips and coding standards document' !!??
Exactly my thoughts!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Shaanpriya wrote:
Sainath.Srinivasan wrote:If you are new to DataStage, why are you tasked with putting together such a 'performance tips and coding standards document' !!??
Exactly my thoughts!
Truly mind boggling. How can anyone new to any tool/product be expected to put together any kind of 'tips' or 'best practices' document? You need to push back on that one. Hard. :roll:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

bhargav_dd: just exactly how "new" to DataStage are you? You say you are here and yet in your profile you rank yourself a "3" which means "Confident to go solo" - something which implies a certain level of training and time with the product. Which is it?

It would help us to actually know where you are, experience wise, to know how (or even if) to answer the kind of questions you are asking.
-craig

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

When to use a lookup over a join or a merge is usually based on volume of records and hardware used by the client. More CPU power will change when one of these will out perform the other. The trick is to build a job 3 different ways and try them with more and more records. So maybe a million rows makes a lookup too slow or slower than a join. You decide.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

chulett wrote:
Shaanpriya wrote:
Sainath.Srinivasan wrote:If you are new to DataStage, why are you tasked with putting together such a 'performance tips and coding standards document' !!??
Exactly my thoughts!
Truly mind boggling. How can anyone new to any tool/product be expected to put together any kind of 'tips' or 'best practices' document? You need to push back on that one. Hard. :roll:
I agree entirely.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dougcl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dougcl »

Hi folks, it is appropriate and commendable that a site establish coding practices before going into mass production. It is also likely that some sites are new to DataStage. It is therefore likely that someone completely new to DataStage is tasked with establishing the design guide for the development team. This is precisely the situation I am in. I think it is appropriate that this forum address this need (indeed it does). There are obviously established design patterns in this environment. They apparently have not been published. Under the circumstances, from my perspective at least, it is appropriate for the original poster to ask these questions.

Thanks,
Doug
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Still would like to see my question answered.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I am hired from time to time, particularly for new sites, to set up best practices (even a Centre of Excellence in some cases) and to mentor the new people. This (hiring an expert) is a more intelligent approach to my mind than expecting a novice to provide this guidance.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kwwilliams
Participant

Post by kwwilliams »

The problem with a staff of people new to DataStage writing best practices is going to cause you some long range issues, that you may not be able to foresee. Asking people on a forum, may get you some good tips but they won't be comprehensive or specific to the needs of your organization.

If you can't hire a professional to help you write these best practices, then you will likely need to start asking some specific questions of the people on this board. Realize that this still will not gain you insight into best practices for your organization.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I have to admit that I have mixed emotions on this subject.

The professional in me shudders to think of the damage caused by documents such as "best practices" being created by neophytes to the product.

The consultant in me gloats in the knowledge that activities such as this guarantee my continued income in the future.
DSShishya
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DSShishya »

Well, For those who are astonished or surprised as to why Bharghav inspite of being "New" to DataStage is being assigned such a responsible task. You will probably get a much clearer picture as to the exact situation he is in if you try and understand the system most companies have incorporated themselves in getting skilled labor with "no strings attached" policy ("Consulting" in corporate terms). And in order to supply this demand the kind of "Ethical" practices all the consulting/staffing companies indulge themselves in. After all its business.

If you all understand those two matters then you will know exactly why Bhargav is in such a situation inspite of being "New". Just my opinion :)

@Topic
Bharghav,
There are many posts within this forum which gives details about performance tuning. Kindly do a good search.

You can also check this link.
http://vivantech.net/BestPracticesDataStage.aspx

Goodluck!
kwwilliams
Participant

Post by kwwilliams »

In my experience the companies stand up DataStage and don't want to pay for training and mentoring their employees, trying to save a few dollars because after all they are just running a business. :)

What these companies don't realize is if they would expend a few extra dollars up front, they could avoid much greater expenses down the road in rework (rework is far more expensive than getting it right the first time). I don't fault Bhargav, it is his management trying to save a few dollars by making the employees go through "On The Job Training."