Scratch Cleanup

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dougcl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Scratch Cleanup

Post by dougcl »

Hi folks, I noticed that we are getting a growing number of old files in the scratch area. Here's an example:

Code: Select all

-rw-------   1 dsadm    dsdev    2227442 Jul 12 16:49 etleng2node1.0000000000000014.00000000
Shouldn't the scratch area be clear after all the jobs are finished? Perhaps we are accidentally storing performance data there or something.

Thanks,
Doug
anbu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by anbu »

The files created in Scratch disk will be there even after the job finishes. You have to delete manually or create some script to handle those files
You are the creator of your destiny - Swami Vivekananda
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I disagree. If jobs finish OK then files on scratchdisk should be cleaned up automatically. If jobs abort then the files may be left there, and would need to be cleaned up manually. This is one of many reasons why I try to create jobs that don't abort.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
anbu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by anbu »

I got confused resource disk with scratch disk.
You are the creator of your destiny - Swami Vivekananda
dougcl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dougcl »

Awesome. Thanks Ray. I suppose creating jobs that don't abort is an uncontroversial "best practice" :wink:
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I don't know. Many people here ask questions about how to force jobs to abort. To me that's anathema. So it's my personal best practice to create jobs that don't abort, even though that may require more thought than just cranking out the code.

Deadlines? Pah! You will spend less time doing it right the first time than having to do it a second or third time.

And doing it right includes documentation!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's nothing about Ray that is "uncontroversial", including his best practices. And some DataStage features require jobs to abort to work. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers