Varying nature of job run

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Akhobare
Participant

Varying nature of job run

Post by Akhobare »

This is just out of curiosity ,
I have a simple job with seq file as source , then transformer and then target table. I am trying to read input files using File Pattern in Windows. I am unable view data in source so far.
During testing/debugging i found sometimes jobs are getting aborted and sometimes sucessful with no data on link till target.

Below are logs i encountered few times.

Starting Job test3.
Parallel job initiated
Parallel job default NLS map ISO-8859-1, default locale OFF
main_program: Ascential DataStage(tm) Enterprise Edition 7.5 Copyright (c) 2004, 1997-2004 Ascential Software Corporation. All Rights Reserved
main_program: orchgeneral: loaded orchsort: loaded orchstats: loaded
seq_Lead_Response,0: Couldn't find any files on host XXXXXX with pattern C:/Documents and Settings/User1/Desktop/DSX/A_custinteraction*.*.
main_program: Step execution finished with status = OK.
main_program: Startup Time 0:04 Production Run Time 0:02
Parallel job reports successful completion
Finished Job test3.

Starting Job test3.
Parallel job initiated
Parallel job default NLS map ISO-8859-1, default locale OFF
main_program: Ascential DataStage(tm) Enterprise Edition 7.5 Copyright (c) 2004, 1997-2004 Ascential Software Corporation.All Rights Reserved
main_program: orchgeneral: loaded orchsort: loaded orchstats: loaded
main_program: createFilesetFromPattern(): Couldn't find any files on host XXXXXX with pattern C:/Documents and Settings/User1/Desktop/DSX/A_custinteraction*.*.
seq_Lead_Response: At least one filename or data source must be set in APT_FileImportOperator before use.
main_program: Could not check all operators because of previous error(s)
main_program: Creation of step finished with status = FAILED
Job test3 aborted.

My Q is : Why the same job is getting aborted/successful for same issue?

Such issues we have observed few more times where DS seems to be unstable.
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

The job might be successfull but with warnings. Then again you run the job it may abort. This is the case with PX since it used parallel engine where records do not always move in a particular pattern.

Regards
Sreeni
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The issue might be the spaces in "Documents and Settings". Try replacing that with "DOCUMEN~1". Try also leaving off the drive letter so that a UNIX pathname is formed:

Code: Select all

/DOCUMEN~1/User1/Desktop/DSX/A_custinteraction*.* 
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not really an answer or even particularly true. :?

What is the difference between the two runs, anything? Or did you literally run the job twice with no changes in the job or environment and get these two results? Your results are not identical as the problem has been reported by two different objects so trying to get some idea as to what may have caused that.

A couple of things to keep in mind. First off - Windows. What version are you running? Have you tried not using long filenames or pathnames with spaces? For example, try "docume~1" instead of "Documents and Settings" or drop files into "C:\Temp" as a simpler test.

Secondly, if you are running PX jobs on Windows with a 7.x release then you have the oh-so-wonderful 7.5x2 version, yes? Something old, something rushed out to be able to say they could run on Windows and something you really should not be using for anything serious, IMHO. Either migrate yourself over to a UNIX server or upgrade to the 8.x release.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

One too many letters, Ray. :wink:

And isn't it true that you can only leave off the drive letter if the path is on the same drive where DataStage is installed? May be safe to make the assumption that it is on the C: drive as well, but worth pointing out, me thinks.
-craig

Akhobare
Participant

Post by Akhobare »

chulett wrote:Not really an answer or even particularly true. :?

What is the difference between the two runs, anything? Or did you literally run the job twice with no changes in the job or environment and get these two results? Your results are not identical as the problem has been reported by two different objects so trying to get some idea as to what may have caused that.

A couple of things to keep in mind. First off - Windows. What version are you running? Have you tried not using long filenames or pathnames with spaces? For example, try "docume~1" instead of "Documents and Settings" or drop files into "C:\Temp" as a simpler test.

Secondly, if you are running PX jobs on Windows with a 7.x release then you have the oh-so-wonderful 7.5x2 version, yes? Something old, something rushed out to be able to say they could run on Windows and something you really should not be using for anything serious, IMHO. Either migrate yourself over to a UNIX server or upgrade to the 8.x release.
I am using Windows Xp SP3 and I didn't get these 2 results in back to back runs. After some debugging when i tried again with path & same file names result was aborted job.
I tried to run job with changed directory names without spaces and changed file names , to be of no use.
It seems it is a bug in DS7.X where File pattern does not work when installed on Windows. I have explored few posts here and people are facing same issue when working with windows.
Regards,
Akshay
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then you need to upgrade.
-craig

laknar
Participant

Post by laknar »