Dynamic DB2 table read to populate dataset?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mczern
Premium Member
Premium Member

Dynamic DB2 table read to populate dataset?

Post by mczern »

Is there a way to create a generic datastage job to read a database (DB2) table specified as a parameter. Perform a select * from <table_nm>. And then have the columns propagate directly to a <table_nm>.ds dataset?

I read about the runtime column propagation setting. Has anyone every used this feature? It seems this is a way to just capture new columns that have been added to a defined table definition. Is there a way to no define any columns and have the entire table be considered dynamic?
Mike Czerniawski
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

RCP will cause all columns to be retrieved by the SELECT * formulation. And you can pass them all the way through your job design provided you don't need to apply any transformation. If you save to a Sequential File with column headings, then import the table definition of that text file, or if you enable OSH_PRINT_SCHEMA, you can discover which columns were extracted.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mczern
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mczern »

Thanks Ray.
I'll probably be doing a POC on this.. If/when I do.. I'll update the post.
Mike Czerniawski