Benefits of using a server job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Rob4732
Premium Member
Premium Member

Benefits of using a server job

Post by Rob4732 »

I apologize if this question has been asked on the forum previously. My search results for 'server job' are too numerous to go thru.

My question is:

When would you want to use a server job(vs. a parallel) job? Is there a benefit to using a server job(vs. a parallel job)?

I have heard that the startup costs to running a server job are less than those for a parallel job.

Thanks in advance

Robert
We don't see things as they are;
We see them as we are.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Server jobs startup faster because they typically have less overhead than full-blown PX jobs. With that said, it isn't significantly faster than a PX job set to run in single-threaded mode. Remember, we are talking a few seconds here at most.

One reason I can think to use server jobs is because they are much more flexible in handling "dirty" data - everything is basically stored in character format, regardless of definition.

Is that worth having two different "code sets" from a support viewpoint? Probably not.

The only time I really write new server jobs is when a customer can't support C++ customizations (no expertise) but could support BASIC customizations. Since server jobs can use BASIC programs as custom routines, this is one of the few times I write new server jobs.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
Rob4732
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Rob4732 »

Excellent Info.

Thanks
We don't see things as they are;
We see them as we are.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

I think of server as a special surgical tool -- critical for certain solutions. Often they are better for small volume transactional things, and are easier to work with when dealing with randomly variable length text.
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>