Sequence Elapsed Times

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kishorenvkb
Participant

Sequence Elapsed Times

Post by kishorenvkb »

Hello Everyone,

We have created an after job sub routine, which would get the details like runtimes, record count, cpu... into a file, which will be later loaded into a Teradata table for analysis. This routine is called in all jobs in "After Job Subroutine".

The question is, how can I capture the sequence run times?

Thanks for the help in advance

Kishore
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You can do the same for sequences. What is the problem?
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sequences don't have after-job subroutines. But you could make the final activity in the sequence a Routine activity that does the same thing.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kishorenvkb
Participant

Post by kishorenvkb »

Exactly... there is no after-job subroutine's within the Sequence. Ray, adding the Rotuine Activity within the sequence cannot help me to capture the EndTimeStamp of the sequence as technically the sequence is not complete until after the Routine Activity is completed. Isn't it?

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can certainly consider them to be equivalent given the fact that the Routine Activity will be the last thing that the Sequence runs.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kishorenvkb
Participant

Post by kishorenvkb »

Okay. I haven't done this before. Can we write something outside of the Datastage (or within a datastage) to go and collect the start and end time for the latest run of every sequence within the project? Can someone share a sample with me?

Thanks in advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

kishorenvkb wrote:Ray, adding the Rotuine Activity within the sequence cannot help me to capture the EndTimeStamp of the sequence as technically the sequence is not complete until after the Routine Activity is completed. Isn't it?
The same argument that applies to an after-job subroutine, isn't it?

The times to the nearest whole second are likely to be identical anyway.

You can always run a completely separate routine/sequence to retrieve this information once the sequence under investigation has completed successfully.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kishorenvkb
Participant

Post by kishorenvkb »

I cannot see anything that Ray wrote as I am not a member. Hopefully the members got some benefit out of this conversation.

Thanks anyways!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, outside or inside DataStage is perfectly feasible. Check out the "dsjob -jobinfo" option from the command line or the DSGet* API function equivalent.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kishorenvkb
Participant

Post by kishorenvkb »

Thanks Chulett and Ray.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

kishorenvkb wrote:I cannot see anything that Ray wrote as I am not a member. Hopefully the members got some benefit out of this conversation.

Thanks anyways!
Your problem is easily remedied.