Data Lineage in Job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lpadrta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Data Lineage in Job

Post by lpadrta »

When I try to view data lineage in a DataStage parallel job, the lineage appears to stop at a stage variable that is used for some mapping activitiy. Is this how it works, or is there something I need to do differently? Thanks so much for your help.
antonyraj.deva
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by antonyraj.deva »

What exactly is the issue? Could you please elaborate a bit?
TONY
ETL Manager
Infotrellis India

"Do what you can, with what you have, from where you are and to the best of your abilities."
lpadrta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Data Lineage in Job through Transform Stage

Post by lpadrta »

I have a job with multiple steps, one of which is a Transform stage. In the Transform stage, I am using a Stage Variable to format a column, then mapping the Stage Variable to the output column.

When I go to the target stage, right click and select to trace where a column came from, the lineage diagrammed on the job canvas shows a link back to the Transform stage where the stage variable comes from, but does not continue the lineage back to the source stage.

With a little more looking, it looks like the lineage is only tracing back to the Transform stage even when I use a straight mapping from input to output without a Stage Variable involved.

Have you had a problem seeing the lineage in this situation?
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

You are doing it correctly. The only time that lineage should stop at the column level is if the output column is derived from a Stage variable that doesn't use any input link cols.......if it does, then lineage should continue thru the Stage. There is apparently dual patch for this..one for DataStage and one for the Metadata Workbench. The workbench one is part of a patch for 8.1.2 and was released on June 14th and is available at the central patch site.....I'm not sure of the DataStage one at the moment, but will post a note if I find out.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Or you could take yourself to Fix Central and browse the available patches for your version and platform.

Save Ernie doing the work for you.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lpadrta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by lpadrta »

Thank you very much EO!

Ray you are on target, I'll put in a request to obtain the patch.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

I didn't find it at fix central, but maybe I missed it..... maybe it has to be requested specifically....anyway, I've been told that it's number if JR33537, if that helps. Let support qualify the requirement for you --- it's possible that the fix does other things also, or maybe it's rolled up somewhere....

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>