Metadata repository to be created manually

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

highpoint
Premium Member
Premium Member

Metadata repository to be created manually

Post by highpoint »

we are planning to use oracle metadata repository for upgrade to 8.1.The IBM docs say we need to create the metadata repository manually before installing Information Server 8.1.
We are using Oracle DB as our source and target and would like to use the same DB for metadata repository.
Can we use our existing source/target oracle DB for metadata repository?
Do we have to create a seperate schema for metadata repository?
Or Do we have to create a seperate schema or seperate tablespace?

IBM docs also say we should not select metadata repository while installing if we want to use oracle as metadata repository

WOuld appreciate if some one can throw some light on this.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You should prefer at the very very least to use a separate schema; I would prefer a separate database, though this can be on one of your existing instances (provided the Oracle version is 10g).

A script is provided amongst the Information Server installation material for creating the metadata repository database, schema, etc. You may need to adapt this if not using a separate database.

If you have created an Oracle metadata repository, you must answer the question about creating a metadata repository, asked while installing Information Server, by not selecting the option to create a metadata repository - instead specify that the installer should use the existing metadata repository.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I haven't been through this personally, but I assume the "do not select metadata repository" warning for the install is because that means you want to use DB2 for that and it will (attempt to) install and configure one for you if you do.

So it doesn't surprise me that you would need to pre-create the Oracle one but I would assume there are scripts provided that do all of the heavy lifting there. I would also assume that yes, it is a separate schema named XMETA that it leverages. As to the tablespace, that's all up to you / your DBA and your policies in place there, I can't imagine it really cares.

I'll leave it to others with practical experience to answer the 'where' question, be it a dedicated instance or if it's ok to fold it into some existing source/target instance. I would assume that you would want something more dedicated / isolated for it, however.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers