Metadata repository options for DataStage 8.1

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

highpoint
Premium Member
Premium Member

Metadata repository options for DataStage 8.1

Post by highpoint »

We are currently using Datastage 7.5.2 and planning to upgrade to 8.1, our metadata repository is currently on Unvierse DB.

I have the following questions:
1) Can we use the same Universe metadata repository for Datastage 8.1, or we have to use oracle metadata repository as we have oracle DB.

2) Can we export 7.5.2 universe metadata repository to a file and use it as metadata repository for DataStage 8.1.

3) Will the system be any faster if we keep metadata repository in a file.

4) What are the commands to use to create metadata repository in oracle for datastage 8.1 and to move data from 7.5.2 repository to 8.1 new metadata repository
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The 8.x versions use both repositories, you have no choice in the matter, nor do you have to worry about transferring anything between the two as it will manage all that automagically during an upgrade or import.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
highpoint
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by highpoint »

chulett wrote:The 8.x versions use both repositories, you have no choice in the matter, nor do you have to worry about transferring anything between the two as it will manage all that automagically during an upgrade or import.
Thanks Chulett!!

But i am not very clear with the answer.Are you saying 8.1 version uses both Universe repository and Oracle repository. I thought 8.1 no longer uses universe database.

say i am installing 8.1 in co-existence with 7.5.2 on the same box. How can i make the new installed copy of 8.1 use the same universe metadata repository that 7.5.2 is using. If 8.1 cannot use 7.5.2's repository. How can i copy the data from universe repository to oracle repository.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

highpoint wrote:But i am not very clear with the answer.Are you saying 8.1 version uses both Universe repository and Oracle repository. I thought 8.1 no longer uses universe database.
You thought wrong. :wink:

As I noted, the 8.x release uses both repositories - so everything is still in the 'Universe' repository like normal plus information is duplicated in the RDBMS XMETA repository as well. And you get the old into the new the same way you always have - export from the old and import into the new.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Don't believe everything sales people tell you. Version 8 uses both repositories. The common metadata repository is shared with other tools, such as FastTrack, Metadata Workbench, Data Architect. The local repository is used primarily at design time and, optionally, for job log storage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Think of version 8 as being four tiers:
- Client (desktop applications).
- Engine (DataStage and QualityStage engine with UniVerse file system).
- Services (WebSphere Application Server metadata services).
- Repository (DB2, Oracle or SQL Server XMeta and Analysis databases).

You could have just one copy of your Services and Repository and many DataStage servers in a grid or cluster environment. The engine repository just holds the information to run jobs. The XMeta repository holds that and a lot more - including all the metadata imported for other products like Cognos and Business Objects and the business metadata from Business Glossary and operational metadata (if you turn it on).