Different ways to upgrade from 7.5.2 to 8.1

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

highpoint
Premium Member
Premium Member

Different ways to upgrade from 7.5.2 to 8.1

Post by highpoint »

We are planning to upgrade from 7.5.2 to 8.1 and are trying to find:

what is the difference in installation process when we are trying to
1) upgrade 7.5.2 to 8.1 (replace 7.5.2 with 8.1)
2) Install 8.1 in co-existence with existing 7.5.2 on the same server.

My understanding is we need to provide Tag ID while installing 8.1 in co-existence with the 7.5.2.

What are the other major difference i need to consider during the two ways of installation mentiond above.

Thanks,
highpoint
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't think anyone here would recommend an 'upgrade in place' from 7 to 8, although that was common (and painless) in previous versions. General advice is to create a new, clean 8.x installation and then import your project from the previous release into it. That regardless of the fact of location, i.e. if the older version is on the same server as the 8.x install or not. Actually keeping them on separate servers probably makes the process easier from what I've read.

I believe you may find the 7.x release may need to be re-installed as an 'itag' installation to allow it to be co-resident with an 8.x installation but others will have to confirm or deny that.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Until recently the 8.x release required that the itag be the default value (ade). However, I have just installed a system where the itag was prompted for, which makes me assume that a non-default itag value is now possible.

Even so, there is so much that is different in version 8 I would continue to advocate for a clean installation.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
antonyraj.deva
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by antonyraj.deva »

Hi Craig & Ray,

Hearing the term "itag" for the first time. Please tell us a little more about it.

Thanks,
Tony
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The itag is a unique identifier used as part of the shared memory keys used by the engine. For example, the shared memory in which the locks are stored has an identifier of 0xadec7521, the itag is "ade". Installing with a different itag, such as "adc", would mean that the shared memory identifier would be 0xadcc7521.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The implications of being able to use separate itags for the engine in past releases (before V8) was that you could run multiple instances concurrently on the same server. With this additional functionality I would guess that one can now do the same at version 8 assuming that the repository location can also be re-mapped.
Last edited by ArndW on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Actually, from what I understand, while the 8.x release does an "itag installation" it does not support having multiple versions installed on the same server. Unlike previous releases, it is "one and done" on any given box.

Unless, as you're thinking, this is now possible. Be curious if anyone knows for certain.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
antonyraj.deva
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by antonyraj.deva »

Thanks a lot Ray... :)
TONY
ETL Manager
Infotrellis India

"Do what you can, with what you have, from where you are and to the best of your abilities."
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

chulett wrote:Actually, from what I understand, while the 8.x release does an "itag installation" it does not support having multiple versions installed on the same server. Unlike previous releases, it is "one and done" on any given box.

Unless, as you're thinking, this is now possible. Be curious if anyone knows for certain.
Certainly true of 8.0 and 8.0.1, but I've just installed 8.1 and the installer does ask the question. Since we went with the default ("ade") because it was a brand new installation, the question was moot.