XML error:Caught unknown exception from runLocally()

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

g_rkrish
Participant

XML error:Caught unknown exception from runLocally()

Post by g_rkrish »

we are doing an upgrade in DS in which we have a job where source is a data set and we store that in a XML and get back from xml and that particluar stage shows up an error saying "Caught unknown exception from runLocally()".I have no clue how to approach this error.any help.
RK
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"Unknown" means just the same to us as it means to you. Contact your official support provider and they'll suggest what logs to look at. More information about exactly what you were doing will almost certainly be required by your support provider.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

This error is normally accompanied with another warning / error. Do you see any ?
g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

Sainath.Srinivasan wrote:This error is normally accompanied with another warning / error. Do you see any ?
I did not get any error on that XML stage rather am geting the usual warning of cannot preserve partitioning on the sort stage.
RK
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

It's probably nothing to do with your xml "in particular"....that's pretty generic. Can you get "any" XML to work? What release are you upgrading from/to? Do you have other Jobs with xml that are working? What is the size of the xml that you are moving around on the links? It could be a lot of things. When I get that error it is usually during initial design where I have forgotten something or put in a completely non-sensical property value, etc. Of course, you have an existing Job, but you never know....review all of it carefully. You may need to break it down into smaller pieces.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

Can you get "any" XML to work?
Yes,but the XML O/P stage fails for that particular job when i just use as o/p and read from that as well.But same job runs fine in 7.1 version when imported to 8.1 it fails.

But when i use the same XML o/p stage just to write also fails with same error.

Do you have other Jobs with xml that are working?
Yes XML works for most of the jobs for that job and similar jobs where i get data from Dataset it fails.

What is the size of the xml that you are moving around on the links?
Less than 100 recs for testing.

any more details Ernie Pls do ask me.got struck with this.

Do any thing need to be done when write and read from same XML.
RK
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

g_rkrish wrote:Do any thing need to be done when write and read from same XML.
Wait, wait, wait... are you saying this only happens when you are writing back to the same xml file that you are reading? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

ok...so following on Craig's note, tell us more about "that" Job...what makes it unique?

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

eostic wrote:ok...so following on Craig's note, tell us more about "that" Job...what makes it unique?

Ernie
that job has source Dataset and has a copy stage goes to the lkp stage then other link from the copy goes to the transformer where we do some trnsformation goes to the XML and from that XML goes to the LKP stage where constraint in LKP is lkp--> failed--> failed.And then to transformer goes on but the error is into the XML and LKP beacuse data not getting loaded to the XML and in the LKP it fails and eventually fails the JOB.

This is what happens in the job,there is another job where we don't have any lkp stage we have transformer-->XML--->Xfrmr fails with same error.

Any more information pls ask?
RK
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

XML stages are typically end points in a process, with the possible exception of an immediately following Sequence File stage to write the output to disk. I have no clue what kind of 'lookup' you would be doing or what kind of 'transformations' would be happening after the XML stage, can you clarify what exactly it is you are attempting to do? What kind of "xml" are you generating? What lookup? What transformations? We can't do anything other than guess without details from you. :?

And just for grins can you clarify what "the XML" means - an XML Output stage, I'm assuming but sometimes those assumptions get us in trouble.
-craig

g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

chulett wrote:XML stages are typically end points in a process, with the possible exception of an immediately following Sequence File stage to write the output to disk. I have no clue what kind of 'lookup' you would be doing or what kind of 'transformations' would be happening after the XML stage, can you clarify what exactly it is you are attempting to do? What kind of "xml" are you generating? What lookup? What transformations? We can't do anything other than guess without details from you. :?

And just for grins can you clarify what "the XML" means - an XML Output stage, I'm assuming but sometimes those assumptions get us in trouble.

Sorry I think i am kind of confused you guyz

Code: Select all

Dastset--------->Cpy-->RemoveDup---------------->LKP---------------Xfrm--
                    |                       |
                    |                    xfrmr
                 sorter--->Xfrmr------->XmlO/p      

Dataset has twokey columns and we are removing dups(Keeping first) by thoese two key coulmns but when we go to sorter it goes with single key
column then goes to transfor where we assign toe the XML columns from the XML we have that single key column tehn it goes to Xfrmr and to the LKP

Pls leteme know any more info needed
Last edited by g_rkrish on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 14 times in total.
RK
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Wrap your "ASCII art" in Code tags so that spacing is preserved. Then we may have some possibility of understanding what's connected to what.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

g_rkrish wrote:Sorry I think i am kinda confused you guyz
Way more than 'kinda', that first explanation was indecipherable.
-craig

eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Time to start breaking it down.... It looks like both the xml output link and the other primarily link are fed into the lookup? Create another Job and remove the whole top path..... just write the xml output in a straight line...does it still fail? This is probably a problem of stages in some sort of combination.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

eostic wrote:Time to start breaking it down.... It looks like both the xml output link and the other primarily link are fed into the lookup? Create another Job and remove the whole top path..... just write the xml output in a straight line...does it still fail? This is probably a problem of stages in some sort of combination.

Ernie
Yeah i tried that Ernie Still fails showing up the same error.
RK