Lookup Error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Exactly the same problem, on identical hardware, using identical databases, identical job design and identical software versions?

If not (and note that you have no knowledge of the original poster's environment), please begin a new thread.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

priyadharsini wrote:the source link key is columnA char(1) nullable = Yes and the reference link key is column A varchar(30) nullable = No
Try having the source and reference of identical in everything even with size ,datatype etc and try compiling and run it.
RK
priyadharsini
Participant

Post by priyadharsini »

After changing the source and reference link key to varchar(1) datatype, earlier it was varchar(1) and varchar(30) in the source and reference link, the job is running successfully without any issues.

Thank You for all your help.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

On a pedantic note, VarChar(1) is a waste of space. Char(1) should always be preferred, otherwise you're carrying the length prefix that has a constant value.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Kind of an old wife's tale, Ray. :wink:

Not sure about other databases, but they store identically in Oracle. If you read down into the comments, you'll see that Tom (as in Kyte) says he "never" uses CHAR, interestingly enough.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

True in DB2, true in dBase, true in SQL Server, true in Red Brick. As far as I am aware, also true in Sybase and Informix IDS. Oracle always tries to be different.