Number of open oracle/db connections in a job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

deepticr
Participant

Number of open oracle/db connections in a job

Post by deepticr »

Hi,

We have designed jobs to extract high volume data from some sources. So, we wanted to configure them for >4nodes configuration.

Some of the jobs have 10 oracle stages. If I execute this job on a 4node configuration, then will I have 40 open database connections (4*10)?

Thanks
Deepti
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Possibly.

Of course, your DBA may not have configured that many listeners, so your job (at least one of its nodes) may fail.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
deepticr
Participant

Post by deepticr »

Will there be 40 open connection, even if the oracle stage are set in sequential execution mode?
srinivas.g
Participant

Post by srinivas.g »

No
Srinu Gadipudi
deepticr
Participant

Post by deepticr »

Could anyone elaborate on how the database connections are established in a parallel job having an oracle stage running sequentially?

Does sequential mode of operation mean that data from the DB is handled by the conductor node and this node opens only a single connection to the oracle DB?

We have about 300 listners set up in the db end. But the extract job having 10 oracle stages is multi instanced and runs for 10 different sources. So, if the extract for all the 10 sources is triggered simultaneously then I'll run into problems with 400 (10*4*10) open connections.

Please advice on the approach to be taken to resolve this issue.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, that is my (possibly incorrect) understanding: sequential = conductor and thus one per stage. One simple solution - don't "trigger simultaneously".
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ps. You don't have "300 listeners". However, you do probably have one listener that is configured to allow a maximum of 300 concurrent connections.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers