server configuration

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pavankatra
Participant

server configuration

Post by pavankatra »

Hi,
I want to install 8.1 version in windows xp,30 users will be accessing the server.So what is the server configuration should be.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
Pavan Kuamr.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ROFLMAO!!!

30 users on Windows XP ?!! What is the capacity of this alleged "server"? As far as I can recall the maximum amount of memory that Windows XP can access is 3GB. That's barely enough for two users!

Get serious. If you're going to use Windows for this many users, you need Windows Server 2003 or later.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pavankatra
Participant

Post by pavankatra »

ray.wurlod wrote:ROFLMAO!!!

30 users on Windows XP ?!! What is the capacity of this alleged "server"? As far as I can recall the maximum amount of memory that Windows XP can access is 3GB. That's barely enough f ...
Thanks ray.

But 30 users using the server and server RAM is 2GB.4 applications are running on the server
pavankatra
Participant

Post by pavankatra »

pavankatra wrote:
ray.wurlod wrote:ROFLMAO!!!

30 users on Windows XP ?!! What is the capacity of this alleged "server"? As far as I can recall the maximum amount of memory that Windows XP can access is 3GB. That's barely enough f ...
Thanks ray.

But 30 users using the server and server RAM is 2GB.4 applications are running on the server.Can you please suggest me how much server capacity should be there to access the Datastage.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

These applications that you're already running won't be nearly as resource-hungry as IBM InfoSphere Information Server (complete with WebSphere Application Server).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

To quote a line from a movie: "You have chosen... poorly". Seriously, rethink what hardware you will need for your stated goal of supporting 30 users on the 8.1 release of this product - an XP system (an unsupported O/S for this tool, btw) with 2GB of memory is well below what your minimum requirements should be. Well. As noted, that is really the minimum spec for a single user XP system.

If you're going to stick with Windows, go Server 2003 at a minimum with as much memory as you can afford to throw in there. As noted here the 32bit version will support up to 128GB (assuming PAE is enabled) and the 64bit version 2TB. Throw in some high-end quad processors and gobs of disk space.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
pavankatra
Participant

Post by pavankatra »

chulett wrote:To quote a line from a movie: "You have chosen... poorly". Seriously, rethink what hardware you will need for your stated goal of supporting 30 users on the 8.1 release of this product - an XP system (an unsupported O/S for this tool, btw) with 2GB of memory is well below what your minimum requirements should be. Well. As noted, that is really the minimum spec for a single user XP system.

If you're going to stick with Windows, go Server 2003 at a minimum with as much memory as you can afford to throw in there. As noted here the 32bit version will support up to 128GB (assuming PAE is enabled) and the 64bit version 2TB. Throw in some high-end quad processors and gobs of disk space.
Thanks For your |Response.

I will check and update you.