Warning in Peek Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shankar_ramanath
Premium Member
Premium Member

Warning in Peek Stage

Post by shankar_ramanath »

Hi,

I have created a simple job with the following stages.

Sequential File -----> Peek -------> Transformer -------> DataSet

The sequential file stage has one column (raw) that is unbounded VARCHAR.

The Peek stage takes this column as input and produces an output that contains 100 records per partition.

The values set for the Peek stage are as follows:

Rows
All Records (After Skip) = False
Number of Records (per partition) = 100

Columns

Peek All Input Columns = True

Partitions

All Partitions = True

Options

Peek Record Output Mode = Output
Show Column Names = False

When the job is run, the following warning message is generated

When checking operator: When binding output interface field "rec" to field "raw": Implicit conversion from source type "ustring" to result type "string": Converting ustring to string using codepage UTF-8.

Interestingly enough, neither the source column, nor the destination column is set to "Unicode". I am curious to know why this warning message is generated? Is there any way to get rid of this warning message (without resorting to message handlers)?

Thanks,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Just remove the Unicode extensions. They are put in there automatically (and annoyingly) because you have NLS enabled and are creating table definitions within the job design.

Check the record schemas in the generated OSH to find out where they're being used.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
shankar_ramanath
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shankar_ramanath »

Hi Ray,

I removed the "Unicode" extension put automatically by the Peek stage. The warning did not go away. Instead, I added the "Unicode" extension to the target column (although it was not needed). Then I removed the "Unicode" extension in the transformer stage.

The warning does not appear anymore.

Thanks for your help.
ray.wurlod wrote:Just remove the Unicode extensions. They are put in there automatically (and annoyingly) because you have NLS enabled and are creating table definitions within the job design.

Check the record schemas in the generated OSH to find out where they're being used.