Dynamic RDBMS (Oracle) - Varchar Issue

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nmed27
Participant

Dynamic RDBMS (Oracle) - Varchar Issue

Post by nmed27 »

Hi all,

Currently using DataStage Version 8.1, a parallel job is extracting data from Oracle table using Dynamic RDBMS stage. The table contains one column, which has been defined as varchar in the stage metadata with no length defined.

I can successfully "view data" from within the stage, but when I run the job, it fails with the SIGSEGV error as below -

Dynamic_RDBMS_6,0: Operator terminated abnormally: received signal SIGSEGV

The same job runs successfully in DataStage version 8.0.1.

However, if I define the length of the column (say 255) in the stage metadata (version 8.1), the job runs successfully. Could anyone please explain the reason for this behaviour and if the job can be run without defining the varchar length?

Thanks in advance!
Nitin Mediratta
Think Different!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That would be a question for support, me thinks. Why not just set an appropriate length and move on?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
nmed27
Participant

Post by nmed27 »

chulett wrote:Why not just set an appropriate length and move on? ...
That's an obvious question. Answer is that we are moving from 8.0 to 8.1 and the golden rule is, not to change any code. Of course, if there is no other solution, then this approach will have to be followed.

I was hoping if anyone encountered the same problem on 8.1 and knows of a solution. But if I do not find any solution, then might contact support.
Nitin Mediratta
Think Different!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Are you current on all of the 8.1.x patches?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
nmed27
Participant

Post by nmed27 »

chulett wrote:Are you current on all of the 8.1.x patches? ...
I sincerely hope so :P

Well, I can see Fix Pack 1 installed which covers the majority of patches/fixes. Otherwise, the rest are client performance patches installed which are not of much interest here.
Nitin Mediratta
Think Different!