insert, delete and update

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srao
Premium Member
Premium Member

insert, delete and update

Post by srao »

hi ,

I have a req to capture insert, update and delete so I used change capture stage to achieve.

I created three different links to insert, update and delete for same table. Does it create any issues like database/table locks while performing insert/update/delete? if so what are other options ?
I am using DRS stage. Database is oracle10g.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage does not create any locks.

But the database server does.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
srao
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: insert, delete and update

Post by srao »

[quote="srao"]hi ,

I have a req to capture insert, update and delete so I used change capture stage to achieve.

I created three different links to insert, update and delete for same table. Does it create any issues like database/table locks while performing insert/update/delete? if so what are other options ?
I am using DRS stage. Database is oracle10g.[/quote]

Thank you Ray. any options ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Have you tried running your job yet? Having any issues?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
arunpramanik
Participant

Post by arunpramanik »

srao wrote: Does it create any issues like database/table locks while performing insert/update/delete? if so what are other options ?
Issue will be there - if the same entity/row is being inserted, updated, deleted - if the same row with same key is in more than one link.

How will you gurantee that first instert is done then on that inserted row the update is made? Rethink on this solution
ArjunK
Participant

Post by ArjunK »

The Change capture done in the upstream should ensure that the same tuple is not being propagated on all three links. A long as lock escalations don't happen from Row to Page to Table , deadlocks shouldn't happen. The commit frequency might also play a factor in your job set up.
hcdiss
Participant

Post by hcdiss »

I dont think it will cause a problem untill you have mutually exclusive records on each link. Records to be inserted wont go on the update link or delete link..same way deletes will only happen when there is no record in the source but corresponding record is in target...
hcdiss