Resize VOC

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Terala
Premium Member
Premium Member

Resize VOC

Post by Terala »

Hi,

I am curious about the size of VOC in one of our Project.

-rwxrwxr-x 1 projuser projtest 1024000 Apr 5 10:49 VOC

What are the steps needed to resize the voc, I think we cannot do it while logged into the particular project. How do I create a pointer from outside the project and resize VOC?

Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks
dr.murthy
Participant

Post by dr.murthy »

HI ,

could you please tell me what is VOC? how it is useful to datastage? and how to check?

i never heard about VOC earlier, could you please help me out.
D.N .MURTHY
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Prove that VOC is too large. VOC is typically presized as type 3, modulo 23, separation 4, which is considered to be a reasonable default.

Are you storing any particularly large records in VOC and, if so, why?

Yes, you can set a remote pointer to VOC from a different account and resize while the target VOC is not in use but beware, if you get it wrong, you've probably lost your project. So always back it up first!

And what will be your new sizing parameters? How will you calculate them? VOC is notoriously hard to get right, which is why most people simply accept the default.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

dr.murthy wrote:HI ,

could you please tell me what is VOC? how it is useful to datastage? and how to check?

i never heard about VOC earlier, could you please help me out.
VOC is absolutely vital to DataStage - lose VOC and you lose your project. There's no need to check - trust me on this.

VOC (from "vocabulary") contains every word and token that might be used at TCL level in a DataStage project, together with instructions to a command parser as to how to use those tokens and, in certain special cases (such as command words and routines) how to dispatch them.

As for the fact that you need help in never having heard of VOC, you may now consider yourself cured.

Or, as they say in the classics: "I'd love to help you out - which way did you come in?" (Groucho Marx)
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Terala
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Terala »

Thanks for the reply Ray. Pls see responses below.
ray.wurlod wrote: Are you storing any particularly large records in VOC and, if so, why?

Not sure, by the way how do I check if there is any large record stored in it?

Yes, you can set a remote pointer to VOC from a different account and resize while the target VOC is not in use but beware, if you get it wrong, you've probably lost your project. So always back it up first!

Sure, I will back it up - What are the commands to set a remote pointer?

And what will be your new sizing parameters? How will you calculate them? VOC is notoriously hard to get right, which is why most people simply accept the default.

We can keep the default. What do you suggest? Also what is the limit VOC can go in terms of size, Is it 2GB? ( as it is a hashed file).

[/b]
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Maximum size of VOC is 2GB unless resized to use 64-bit internal addressing. I've never seen a VOC get anywhere near this size. Yours, for example, is only 1MB.

I'm worried about your lack of knowledge. If you don't know the command to set a remote pointer (SETFILE or SET-FILE) then you're unlikely to know how correctly to resize the file. Leave it well alone.

To get the largest records do something like this query:

Code: Select all

SELECT EVAL "LEN(@RECORD)" COL.HDG 'Size' FMT '6R' FROM VOC ORDER BY 1 DESC;
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Why do you think this needs to be resized? I'm curious what brought you here, asking that. Are you having... issues? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

ray.wurlod wrote: VOC (from "vocabulary") contains every word and token that might be used at TCL level in a DataStage project
could anyone expand TCL.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

That would be the Terminal Command Language or the ">" prompt and environment from DataStage/UniVerse. This is what you see when you enter the dssh or execute commands from the Admin tool.
Terala
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Terala »

chulett wrote:Why do you think this needs to be resized? I'm curious what brought you here, asking that. Are you having... issues? :?
The Director would take a long time to refresh and show all the jobs after sometime.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

This is much more likely to be caused by large log files and many jobs in the view than the VOC hashing.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I agree. Do some discovery on how large your job logs are.
karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthi_gana »

SELECT EVAL "LEN(@RECORD)" COL.HDG 'Size' FMT '6R' FROM VOC ORDER BY 1 DESC;
From where i execute this query?
Karthik
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Administrator Command option, or from the TCL prompt noted earlier.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers