restart sequence from checkpoint without aborting other job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

caterin_huang
Participant

restart sequence from checkpoint without aborting other job

Post by caterin_huang »

Hi all,
I have a question. is it possible for datastage sequence to run a job from certain checkpoint and trigger all the undone job?

My objective is : when any of my job at the sequence get abborted, I want my sequence only restart from certain aborted job activities and trigger all activities which depend on it.

I have followed all the previous post about the similar topic at this forum. I have checked both the "add checkpoints so sequence is restartable on failure" box and the "Automatically handle activities that fail" box. I also have set all job activity properties to "reset if required then run".

the three things I did above has solved the checkpoint problem. But, the other problem which is raised is: my sequence will abort as soon as it reached the aborted job stage. which cause all job activities which is not depend on the aborted job is also stopped.
:(

So, is it possible for datastage to:
1. when the sequence is restarted,it run from certain aborted point and automatically trigger all jobs which depends on it.
2. but at the other side, I don't want because of a job aborted, another non-dependent job is stopped also.

and if it is possible, how to do it? I have tried to use terminator stage to help,but it still didn't work as what I want.

Thanks in advance. and I really appreciate any help from all of you

Thanks,
Caterin
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: restart sequence from checkpoint without aborting other

Post by chulett »

caterin_huang wrote:But, the other problem which is raised is: my sequence will abort as soon as it reached the aborted job stage.
Why is that? It should just restart the sequence from that point, reset the aborted job and go. What kind of 'abort' are we talking about here? Can you post the actual errors involved? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
caterin_huang
Participant

Post by caterin_huang »

chulett wrote:
caterin_huang wrote:But, the other problem which is raised is: my sequence will abort as soon as it reached the aborted job stage.
Why is that? It should just restart the sequence from that point, reset the aborted job and go. What kind of 'abort' are we talking about here? Can you post the actual errors involved? :?
yes that's right. but, can the other job keep running without impacted by a job which is aborted?

because I have a big master sequence. and this sequence contains of many sub jobs,which some is dependant but some of them is not dependant. the problem is, the other non dependant job also get aborted when a job is aborted. What I want is, the only aborted job and all job depend on it should stop. and not for the other non dependent job. they can still running right?
caterin_huang
Participant

Post by caterin_huang »

chulett wrote:
for example:
I have 5 jobs: a,b,c,d,e.

Code: Select all

a --> b
      ^
      |
      c

d-->e
at the description above, b should depend on A and C. and E depend on D. But what happen in here is, if job A is aborted, job D and E is get aborted also. What I want is: A and B sborted, D and E keep running

is it possible for that?

thanks
Caterin
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So, by 'get aborted also' you actually mean 'do not run', yes? And if you truly want them to be independent, make them so - use two separate Sequence jobs.
-craig

ulab
Participant

Post by ulab »

is it a single sequencer that running a and d jobs above?
Ulab----------------------------------------------------
help, it helps you today or Tomorrow
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, which is the issue.
-craig

caterin_huang
Participant

Post by caterin_huang »

ulab wrote:is it a single sequencer that running a and d jobs above?
no... job A and D using different sequencer but in a same sequential job and not dependent each other. is it possible tu use a sequential job like this?

so what I want is, if:
A is aborted
C is finished then B is aborted
but D and E is still running as normal. because D and E use a different sequencer as A and C did.. is it possible?

thanks
caterin_huang
Participant

Post by caterin_huang »

chulett wrote:So, by 'get aborted also' you actually mean 'do not run', yes? And if you truly want them to be independent, make them so - use two separate Sequence jobs. ...
Yes, they do not run. and I want them to still running because they don't have any dependencies with the aborted job.

actually this is not really independent job. I can describe it as this:

Code: Select all

A --> B   
      ^   \
      |     \
      C    F
         /
D --> E
So, when A error, I still want D and E to be finished although F will not be run. how about it?

Thanks,
Caterin
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not possible if you want the automatic checkpoint restart capability. You can make that happen with the proper triggers but then restarting it is on you as well.
-craig

caterin_huang
Participant

Post by caterin_huang »

chulett wrote:Not possible if you want the automatic checkpoint restart capability. You can make that happen with the proper triggers but then restarting it is on you as well. ...
Yes,it's okay if it's not automatically restart from the checkpoint. but when I restart the sequence, I want it to restart from A which is aborted and automatically trigger B then F without running C ,D and E anymore because they have finished.

But what happened now is, when A get aborted, C,D and E also stopped and it makes when I restart the job from A, job C,D and E must be rerun again. I just want C,D,and E keep running although A is aborted, so when A is reset then it only trigger the unfinished indepenedent job (B and F)

How about it?

Thanks,
Caterin
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

How about it? Curious what my motivation would be to continue to help when honest attempts to do so get rated as 'Off-topic/Superfluous'? A little thin-skinned on my part, granted, but it's been one of those days.
-craig

caterin_huang
Participant

Post by caterin_huang »

chulett wrote:How about it? Curious what my motivation would be to continue to help when honest attempts to do so get rated as 'Off-topic/Superfluous'? A little thin-skinned on my part, granted, but it's been one of those days.
Sorry, I just tried this forum featured and accidentally click on the rate. I didn't know that it will post it automatically. I just want to know the tag of each point.
Sorry for my fault :(
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Turn off the Compiler options you've turned on, that gives you explicit control over things. Then use the appropriate triggers to keep aborts from stopping things (Unconditional, for example) and perhaps a Terminator when it actually is time to shut things down.

As noted, the problem will be restarts - you will need to explicitly control where to join the job stream depending on where it needs to restart.
-craig

caterin_huang
Participant

Post by caterin_huang »

chulett wrote:Turn off the Compiler options you've turned on, that gives you explicit control over things. Then use the appropriate triggers to keep aborts from stopping things (Unconditional, for example) and perhaps a Terminator when it actually is time to shut things down.

As noted, the problem will be restarts - you will need to explicitly control where to join the job stream depending on where it needs to restart.
Hmm, do you mean I should uncheck the "Automatically handle activities that fail" box ?
Ive tried it, but when a job is aborted, the sequence is reported as finish succesfully. and when I klik start at the sequence after resetting the aborted job,I can't run the job from certain checkpoint. Because It will rerun from the beginning again. :(

Thanks,
Caterin