log entries not creating in DataStage Director client view

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Gaurav.Dave
Premium Member
Premium Member

log entries not creating in DataStage Director client view

Post by Gaurav.Dave »

Hello,

We are came across one situation. Here is some background information. We are having DataStage 8.1 on AIX 6x box. We have parallel jobs and they are running fine since beginning of last year.

Yesterday, Our production DataStage jobs were running slowly while updating our target tables. We decided to reboot entire AIX server where DataStage installed as it wasnt done since last 130 days. Our support team did it. When server came back up our operation team seeing no logs entries (nothing at all showing up) being created inside DataStage director client. Also our multiple instance of single job failing and we are not able to track the reason due to not able to see log views in director.

Just trying to find out what went wrong in sudden and why we are not able to see job logs view in director. Anyone has come across this kinda situation before? Can you guide us.

Thank you
Gaurav
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check the values of the following in the DSParams file in each project.
RTLogging
ORLogging

If I recall correctly (I can't check right now) RTLogging specifies that logging will be to the local repository, ORLogging specifies that logging will be to tables in the unified metadata repository (XMETA).

In the interim, try using the Reporting tab in Web Console for Information Server to view logs. Note that there is only one log per project; you will need to be more creative with filtering.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Gaurav.Dave
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Gaurav.Dave »

Thanks Ray..

Hunm..strange

Its

RTLogging=0
ORLogging=1

While for other projects we do have reverse. I have not changed it..looks like this should be reverse.

Which id generally used to connect to XMETA database?...Is it IISadmin id?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can use any registered user ID in the Reporting console. Using isadmin (or whatever your IS Administrator ID is) you have all privileges, but most users can view reports. You may need to configure viewability of DataStage logs.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Gaurav.Dave
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Gaurav.Dave »

Thanks Ray..

It was got resolved by changing RTLogging=1
ORLogging=0.

Its mystery that how it was switched values in DSParams file. I need to investigate with my Admin team.

Regards,
Gaurav
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check the values in the DSParams file in the Template from which projects are created.
pjsimon20
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pjsimon20 »

But do we know the reason why the director view does not work when ORLogging is set to 1?

The director view should work whether ORLogging= 1 or RTLogging=1 but it may be slower when ORLogging is set to 1. But in this case it does'nt work at all.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

"Should work" according to whom? :wink:

What you're seeing is the behaviour as documented - from what I've read, one way they are visible only in the Director and the other only in the Console.

viewtopic.php?t=125607
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers