Shared Container

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ReachKumar
Participant

Shared Container

Post by ReachKumar »

Hi,

How to create and use shared containers in the job?

Please help.
Regards,
Kumar
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

In your designer "General" tab you can select a container. Once on the canvas, you can right-mouse click and convert it to a shared container. Or in the Designer menu you can choose "new" and then select a shared container directly. I'm sure there are more methods, which as also documented in the product literature.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why particularly do you want to use shared containers?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
adisheshu.dwh
Participant

Hi

Post by adisheshu.dwh »

Shared containers r used for reducing the complexity and it can use any were in ur project and any job,but local containers u can use only that particular job
ADISHESHU.P
adisheshu.dwh
Participant

Re: Shared Container

Post by adisheshu.dwh »

[In your designer "General" tab you can select a container. Once on the canvas, you can right-mouse click and convert it to a shared container. Or in the Designer menu you can choose "new" and then select a shared container directly.
If u cant re convert the shared container directely,first u have to convert shared container to local container and then local container to original form
ADISHESHU.P
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please maintain a professional standard of written English on DSXchange. There is no call to use SMS-style abbreviations - DSXchange is not a mobile telephone, and there is no practical limit to the length of posts.

The second person personal pronoun in English is spelled "you" (not "u"), its possessive form is spelled "your" (not "ur") the plural present tense of the verb "to be" is "are" (not "r").

I am fully aware of possible reasons for using containers of different kinds, but wanted to know what the original poster's reasons are, in case they warrant a broader answer or, indeed, a solution that does not involve containers.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ReachKumar
Participant

Post by ReachKumar »

Hi,

I have a set of jobs.

All the jobs has the input field(Say Emp_ID).

Each job creates one output file with some logic(Hope it wont be necessary now)

Now my requirement :
Before the output stage, i need to lookup the input data with the common file(Which will be common across all the jobs) based on Emp_ID.

I need to create new field(Say indicator).If there is a matching record in the input file and the lookup file then value for the indicator field should be Y else N.

And finally i need to send all the input fields and lookup file fields to output along with indicator field.

So shared container will contain the lookup file and lookup logic and the indicator field logic and input and output meta data.

Please let me know for any information.
Regards,
Kumar
ReachKumar
Participant

Post by ReachKumar »

Can shared container has two input files?
Regards,
Kumar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Files? Sure. Did you perhaps mean input links? And as noted, how to create / use them is fully documented in the pdf files that come with the product.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ReachKumar
Participant

Post by ReachKumar »

yes i mean input links
Regards,
Kumar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Probably the easiest approach for you is to construct your logic in a regular job, test it, then select the pertinent stages and use the Edit menu to create your shared container.

If/when it subsequently needs parameters or documentation you can then open the shared container to create these.